Add "Original Estimate" to my projects

Maranda Forney July 14, 2020

I am new to Jira and I have taken over managing existing projects in Jira from someone else.  I'm not sure how the projects were created but I noticed I was able to add the "Original Estimate" field to Project A by going into "Project settings"-->"Issue Type" and drag "Original Estimate" from the bottom right to the "Context" section.  However for Project B when I follow the same path, there is no "Original Estimate" field to drag over.  When I go to "Issues"-->"Customer fields"-->"Create Custom" field and create "Original Estimate" using the "Number field" and associate with the respective screens, I am still not able to see the field.  Can you provide guidance?

1 answer

0 votes
Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

Hello @Maranda Forney , I am not sure how you managed to add "original estimate" field from project settings --> Issue type. But, to enable original estimate field on your board, you need to goto active sprints ... --> board settings --> estimation --> choose Original Estimate Time as your Estimation Statistic --> Back to board. This should Add original estimate on to your projects. Also, it's important to note that if you are on a Kanban board you won't see the same setting.

See Configuring time tracking for detailed explanation.

@Sachin Thank you so much for responding!  I went to the active sprint and on the left panel three is only "Project Settings"...am I looking in the wrong place?

Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2020

See below screenshot. Also, if you don't have access to edit board settings, you need to talk to your board admin to ask him to make these changes for you..you can see How do you find out Board Administrators 
Screenshot_3.png

@Sachin I don't have that option as shown below:

Original_Estimate.png

Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2020

Ah ok, so the project you are on is a "nex-gen software project" and I am on a "classic poject" , as per JSWCLOUD-17248  (I would encourage you to vote/watch and add comments to that ticket) time estimation is not yet enabled for next-gen projects. See comments from one of the Atlassian team member on this Time estimates (hours) in next-gen project instead of story points estimate?  

You can learn more about next-gen projects here

@Sachin Thank you...now I did create an "Original Estimate" field using the "Number field" and associated with my respective screens...will that do the job as a workaround?

Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2020

That should do, but do not name your custom field as "original estimate" , since it is a system field.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events