Time estimates (hours) in next-gen project instead of story points estimate?

Neil Rao June 6, 2019

I can't figure out how to make the estimate use time instead of story points. I am sharing this board with a client who thinks in terms of hours billed, not story points. The documentation says to go to the Board Settings but that option is completely missing in my project. This is the documentation page. Also I am using Jira Cloud.

9 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2021

Time estimation is now available in Team-managed projects :)

2 votes
Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2019

Hi everyone,

We are kicking off research into original time estimates in the next 2 weeks, so we can build it for next-gen projects!

If you're keen to have a chat with us (we will thank you with a gift voucher for your time), please book a chat with us at https://calendly.com/iteong/jira-software-next-gen?month=2019-10

Note that there will be limited availabilities in my schedule, so if you're keen to chat, please schedule something as soon as you can.

Many thanks and looking forward to chat with you soon!

Regards,

Ivan Teong

Product Manager, Jira Software

1 vote
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2019

Hi @Neil Rao ,

As far as I know, this feature is not implemented in the next-gen project, because time tracking has not been opened in the next-gen project.

Next-gen roadmap for Jira Software Cloud

coso.png

Kevin Cassman July 11, 2019

Need an answer for this asap as well.

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2019

Hi @Kevin Cassman ,

Time tracking has been released on June 17th.You can now log the hours you work on issues in your next-gen project.

tc.png

Kevin Cassman July 11, 2019

@Ollie Guan  how about the ability to add an hour estimate to a task or subtask?

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2019

@Kevin CassmanProject setting -->Issue Types-->Time tracking

tc.png

Kevin Cassman July 14, 2019

@Ollie Guan That is for tracking time. Is there an ESTIMATE field tied to this? So we can track estimated time vs actual time?

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2019

According to the roadmap,there is no release schedule for this feature yet.

Vote for this issue : Provide time estimation for Next-gen Projects

Like # people like this
Kevin Cassman July 15, 2019

This is disappointing @Ollie Guan .

I don't seem to have the ability to vote for that issue. Or to comment...

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2019

Hi @Kevin Cassman ,

Please confirm if you have logged in to the system.

dl.png

0 votes
Maximiliano Herrera January 31, 2021

Hi Meenu, 

I had same issue and just went for classic project template instead of next-gen. 

Regards,

Max

0 votes
Meenu Suri October 22, 2020

Hi Guys,

Can someone please help me with the Orginal Estimate field in JIra next-gen. As many of my friends out there says that it's not there in the Jira Next-gen. Few people recommended to create a custom field. I did create a numeric field for Original Estimate, associated it with my respective Kanban next-gen project, however, that filed for is not visible. Am i doing something wrong. Please refer to the attachment and help.Original Estimate.PNG

0 votes
Barry Williams July 28, 2020

Please add the original estimate, this is a vital metric.

0 votes
Tomas Vrabcek July 1, 2020

Time estimation for sub-tasks are needed to know or make a retrospective where the team made under/overestimation. It will be very helpful if you can add this possibility as soon as possible (end of this month ;) let's challenge you a bit. 

0 votes
Pete Ziu February 12, 2020

it's helpful, sorry, but I need time tracking.

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
February 12, 2020

@Pete Ziu Time-tracking is already in next-gen. You can add that in the issue type editor.

Pete Ziu February 14, 2020

@Ivan Teong , I am not finding a time estimate field.  Might I not have sufficient rights?  A due date tied to an issue is of no value to me when using sprints (not kanban).  Due date and points are all I see when I create a new issue type.

disclaimer:  I am taking over a next gen project I did not create, and I have not been through the creation process in next gen.

My understanding over the years is that the general flow of agile sprints [as I am familiar w/ it] is that issues are created on the backlog.  They are simply captured, may be unassigned, may not have estimates etc.  

Issues are either estimated in story points or in hours.  Traditionally points is the original tracking mechanism, but many folks wanted to use hours, so in the old version of Jira, hours or story points could be used, and the particular paradigm was selected at the project level.  It appears now they are selected at the issue level?   Not sure how this works when using sprints.

During backlog review/grooming, issues are given estimates in points or hours, a priority, and an assignee, or else you can't plan a sprint.  No issue has a due date, the sprint is the due date, when the issue is pulled into or planned in a sprint.

It would seem to me a good idea to down select (eliminate) options when creating a project depending upon the project options.  For example if the project is managed using sprints, offer fields for hours or story points, or both [using both, hours calculate burn down, and story points can be used as a level of estimation risk, and not not for burn down].  If the project is kanban, offer the due date field.  But to offer all field types know matter what paradigm a project is using seems unmanageable and is confusing to the end user. 

0 votes
Carlos León September 26, 2019

Hi @Ollie Guan currently just is allowing to add Story points, how could we add estimates in time, ie. hours, minutes, etc.?

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2019
Like # people like this
Anna Panchuk February 24, 2020

Voted. Please add time estimates. This is only thing preventing me from switching to next gen project

Like Marko Mattila likes this

Suggest an answer