Add customer without sending an invitation email

Øystein Aker October 2, 2018

IT used to be possible to uncheck send invitation email in the form when i register new user/Customer to an organization for our Jira Servicedesk.

This functionality seems to have changed the last months after some update.

How can this be done now? 

- I wish to create the user up front with an password. Then let them send emails to auto create a new case and later give them access with password (and let them change the password after logged in).

(It's not an alternative to open up and let anyone registrer new cases by email, It's by invite only and some users should then also be allowed to log in later)

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2018

You cannot. This question has been asked a number of times in the Community. If you look at the bottom right of this page you will see related content. In that list you will see Add customer without email and it provides more inf including link to open ticket to support. 

Øystein Aker October 2, 2018

I need this only once in a while not a lot so, as a work around, do you think it would be possible for me to create the user/customer with an email i control myself, register him with password myself, change the email registered for user/customer later and then let him send in his issues without being able to log in?

Evan Nixon November 25, 2021

For anyone else that finds this page as I did and gets discouraged, this is no longer correct - you can now disable Customer Notification emails. 

From https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Re-Add-customers-without-email/qaq-p/1499788/comment-id/61940#M61940

Before adding them go to project settings > customer notifications and disable the customer invite notification. 

Turning off all of these options make it so absolutely nothing gets sent out to customers from service desk - including comments using "Reply to customer".

Screenshot 2021-11-25 170637.png

This is fantastic for when you're migrating your customer support team over from another platform and don't want customers to have visibility (or any knowledge) of service desk until your team is used to it and has gotten their workflows nailed down. 

Luckily the documentation is now updated here :
Managing service project notifications | Jira Service Management Data Center and Server 4.20 | Atlassian Documentation

Edit :

Big caveat here though, by having customers sign up through the portal or by receiving their invitation e-mail they are able to set their "Full Name" (aka displayName), without having the customer fill this information out there is no way for agents to set the customer's name in Service Management. The only option at the moment for this is for a user in the site-admin group to go into Settings > User Management > Jira Service Management and change set the customer's names one by friggin' one. Even importing the customers via CSV doesn't allow for the name field to be set. I have looked at and tried nearly half a dozen free and paid CRM apps on the Atlassian Marketplace to try and get a workaround for this....and there currently is none. 

A ticket requesting this "feature" has been open since 2016, so I wouldn't recommend holding your breath on this. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer