Add New Work Flow Combo box disabled

Dave Zuzak September 15, 2022

I have an existing Jira Cloud project and created a new workflow to replace the current one assigned to it(Simplified). The newly created and named workflow is visible in inactive work flows and is editable. I open to the project requiring the work flow update and  navigate to project settings > workflow.  The 'Add New Work Flow drop down  is present and highlights on focus (on mouse over) but does nothing when its clicked(as if its disabled). Next to it on the right is the 'Switch Scheme'  button. If  I highlight and click on this, the button opens up a new window as expected.  Can someone advise if the Add New Work Flow is broken or am I missing something? I can't apply the new work flow and need to know why.  Thanks in advance. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Hello @Dave Zuzak 

Welcome to the community.

Can you provide screen images of what you see?

Thanks for the fast reply . The Add workflow is there it just doesn't do anything. Add new workflow.PNG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Okay, I think the issue is that the Workflow Scheme is shared with multiple projects. You won't be able to add a workflow to the scheme through that page. As the messages indicate, the Workflow Scheme will have to be modified from the Workflow Schemes page, and note that all projects that share the Workflow Scheme will be affected.

I'm working with a Free Jira instance so I can't actually replicate this scenario to test that out.

Thanks. This is why I didn't change the Work Flow Schemes - I didn't want to impact the other projects using the shared work flow - this isn't an option.  So how do I procced then? I need to apply the new work flow. I assume removing the simplified workflow association from this project and then retrying? Where do I so and what are any impacts to existing Issues/Sprints in progress?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2022

You can make a copy of this workflows scheme, add the new workflow to the copy, and then associate the copy workflow scheme to the project. In that way your change will affect only the project to which you assign the new and modified copy of the workflow scheme.

Making a copy of the Workflow Scheme can be done from the same Workflow Schemes page mentioned in the message on the screen.

After modifying the copy, to associated it to the project you would go back to the screen where you saw the above message and select the Switch Scheme button.

Depending on how you changed the workflow, there may be messages about needing to migrate issues. You may be required to provide some additional information about how to do that. If you've never been through this before, you might want to create a test project with some test issues in the same statuses as your original project, then try applying the new workflow scheme there first.

I do have a sandbox project, but it too uses the same workflow(shared). I'm cleaning up some things that preceded me.  I thought that's what the Switch Scheme was for, but my new Scheme's name isn't show up there, so apparently I'm missing something else then. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2022

Can you provide screen images that show:

- the Workflow Schemes screen showing the name of the original workflow scheme

- the Workflow Schemes screen showing the name of the new workflow scheme you created

- the Switch Schemes screen showing the list of available Workflow Schemes.

Dave Zuzak September 16, 2022

Trudy, I was able to figure things out after your suggestion and redirect. I appreciate your help :)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events