Recognition

• Give kudos
  • My kudos

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage
Highlighted

Which is best? Multiple projects with 1 release or 1 project with multiple releases?

So I'm a Jira admin, helping advise different departments on their Jira implementation. In keeping with Agile principles I'm happy for teams to organically find workflows that work for them and customise accordingly. Recently, one team got started with Jira and opened up an interesting discussion.

Is it better to create separate projects for each release, or separate releases within each project?

My gut feeling is to just set the fix version for each release, and create a 'release' when finished but the team wanted to go for separate projects for each release, stating the following reasons...

• They don't want to see any of the issues from previous releases - Those issues are either moved to the next project, or to a separate project of 'live issues'
  • When using the quick search links 'open issues' etc, it would otherwise include things not in scope for the release.

Thoughts?

2 comments

@Craig Baillie 

Definitely in this case 1 project with multiple releases makes sense. This why fix versions are there in Jira.

I think it is more of a case of training the users about filters, issue navigator, dashboards and reports. Since you mentioned agile. Also educating them on using epics, labels, boards with relevant issues only and utilising these capabilities to the fullest of Jira.

Ravi

Like # people like this

I concur with @Ravi Sagar _Adaptavist_

It's important users learn how Jira works - it is a flexible system and teams should use it to suit their ways of working. But, there can be pitfalls to some approaches.

In the instance you've described, I think it makes sense to have one project assuming this is one product to be delivered or one team delivering consistently. This is because:

• One project ensures the releases are all in one location - to allow for release-based reporting and...
  • It reduces administration - otherwise you're managing a unique set of components, users, releases, etc per project created
  • All the issues sit under one issue key - which I think is important to show parallel work being delivered

The concerns they've mentioned can be handled through some knowledge of the boards and issue filters - for example:

• Boards have a version tab - they could filter to only show the release they're working on or...
  • They could add a quick filter to not show issues from previous releases
  • For 'open issues' - they could build custom filters they can save as favourites to manage for their scenario.
  • In turn, they could add these to a 'team dashboard' to visualise what they have coming up in the next release

^ Easily manageable and less convoluted than having multiple projects.

Ste

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,642 views 22 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you