Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

228 comments

dtlhlbs June 25, 2023

Nice start, but it'd be good if you change the colour of the Epic on child issues to match, now it's just confusing...

New Project.png

It just seems completely daft you would program it this way and it'd pass your quality control. But apparently, this is not worthy of a fix (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21896), despite your blog post celebrating it's usefulness. 

Like • # people like this
Mendel Liang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2023

Hi dtlhlbs,

There's a known problematic behaviour (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-25330) where issue data on the board is cached and not refreshed until cards move between statuses on the board - could you try moving an issue on the board and seeing if this updates the color value on the child issue? Otherwise, it could be worth raising a support ticket as this definitely looks like buggy behaviour.

Thanks

Mendel

Like • Irene likes this
Gautami Parab June 25, 2023

Hi, epics on my scrum board are shown as undefined. Could you please help me resolve this issue

undefined epics.png

Yaroslav Pristupa June 26, 2023

Good idea in general. But now the color of the epic looks different in Active sprint and in the Backlog. It's a bit confusing

Image 002.png

(IMHO it would be better if you finally fixed the bug with inserting images during creating an issue when "Create another issue" option is checked.)

Patrick Patji June 26, 2023

Good day,

I had my epics fully changed this morning and had the team fully confused on how the epics are now been displayed i.e Having a full sentence displaying or narrating an epic as if its a tasks :)  This has been a different experience...

Brian Handscomb June 26, 2023

Just got hit by the epic name no longer being the epic name... it's like mystery dip now... just seen an epic now called "all plans/actions for this topic"... Why not use a NAME for a NAME?! Someone had one of those "bright idea" moments ??? It wasn't... IMHO...

Dale G_ June 26, 2023

This change has really hurt.

It was previously easy to tell what Epic an Issue was a child of, but now backlogs and Kanban boards show 15 characters and an ellipsis, making it impossible to tell what work they are related to.

Epic Name was used by many of us as a "mini-Summary" to help organize backlogs, and now it's superfluous. Please consider rolling back this change.

Clifton G_ Collins III June 26, 2023

Maybe a new feature for an Epic icon to be used either in conjunction with the colors as a background or not.

Antti Rantanen June 26, 2023

I wonder if there's a way to display the Epic names in full length as it used to be with tasks in backlog? This cutting of words makes backlog screening really frustrating, especially if the Epic names are something like Iteration 1, Iteration 2 etc.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Aleksander Banjanin June 26, 2023

I'm not able to open Epics in Safari. It does work in Chrome. Is anyone having a similar issue?

Brian Crumley June 26, 2023

This update literally made all of our Epics read as the same thing in list views because we used to the Summary to write a longer summary of the Epic compared to the short and sweet Epic Name which was displaying. Kinda missing the value of this change if it doesn't follow the understood difference between a Name and a Summary.

Roy DeSimone June 26, 2023

Adding my voice to those who find the change from epic name to epic summary on our task cards to be absurd. 

The name is the name. The summary is a brief description of what tasks are included in the epic.

There is room for one of those but not the other on a task card.

This change has totally ruined a lot of common-sense organization that's been in place for a while. 

Daisy Hibbard June 26, 2023

This update just hit our account today without any warning. The Epic names all automatically updated to the summary, and it doesn't show in the History of the Epic what the original name was. I'm going to have to manually update all of our Epic so they show up on the board like they used to and so we can easily see which initiatives the team's effort is going to. 

I'd like to know the WHY behind this change, especially since it's caused negative value to us.

Larissa Gutscher June 26, 2023

Just spent half an hour manually moving the epic name to the epic summary in all of our epics, as our board was now full of cut-off sentences. What a ridiculous change to make without proper warning.

I also don't understand cutting off the epic name/summary in the backlog. There is so much white space on a big enough screen.

Jonathan.Hotchkiss June 26, 2023

"Epic name → Issue summary"

well this makes zero sense whatsoever... why on earth force this upon us. The other changes I kind'a get, but this has just ruined our Sprint boards as its now a long sentence for each epic rather than the epic name.

Keen to see if anyone has suggestions about why this is better?

Chris Brown June 26, 2023

Woke up this morning to our Jira existing items and workflow being completely hosed by the changes. No warning, no opting out. Thanks for forcing us to move from our locally controlled server installation to your cloud service so you could more efficiently break our stuff during milestone week.

Mark Thompson June 26, 2023

I'm not happy with this Epic name change but the people complaining they didn't know this was coming must live in a box.  I knew this was coming long enough in advance to understand it was going to be a bit of a cluster.  Saying Jira team didn't notify is unfair.  They send admins notification all the time for many of their changes.  I strongly suggest people not filter them and start reading them.  I've saved myself some pain by reading those emails.  This feature was communicated last year.  I do feel for the people who had a happy life on server.  Welcome to the painful world of forced Jira updates on cloud.  I believe I've liked two of them (sharing filters and automation but automation default permissions did cause me some pain initially).  The rest have almost always added additional work to my plate.  

Yeah, you can bet I'll be using precious time deep diving each email they send now. But in this case even if they personally called each and every licensee and told them exactly what was going on, there's still no reason for a permanent destructive change like this to be implemented with no ability to revert or mitigate it.

Mark Thompson June 26, 2023

Well just an FYI so you can go investigate.  Epic link is being replaced by parent later in the year most likely.  I'd go take a look how that is going to impact you.  You should've received an email about that as well.  In that email it would've told you if you had any items that would be impacted.   

More information on the Epic link to Parent change here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/upcoming-changes-epic-link-replaced-with-parent/

Like • Daisy Hibbard likes this

Okay, so while we recover from this change, our solution has to take this upcoming change into account and then going forward we have to do things that we ANTICIPATE will still be valid in the future. A very cool way to run an allegedly production-ready product.

AJ Canepa June 26, 2023

@Chris Brown I just went through my Epics manually to copy what's in the Epic Name into the Issue Summary.  They just started having their display code use one field and not the other on the Active Sprint and Backlog, so it's not data destructive from what I can see.  It only took me about an hour for a few projects.  They also have an automated solution in that support article @Mark Thompson linked, if you have a lot to edit, but we don't and I figured the manual process is less likely to allow me to accidentally mess up other data.

BTW - I did experienced the bug with stale cached Epic data on the Active Sprint, but it's an easy work around of moving an issue of each type of Epic to a different status column and back.  Hopefully they have a hotfix for that one soon.

Siobhan Flynn June 26, 2023

@Irene@Rohan Swami1 
Hi Atlassian team, my question is regarding the Epic Panel:
What is the behaviour regarding a To-Do status or a In-Progress status for Epics showing up here? 
My use case is that our Product Owners have a lot of Epics in the To-Do status that they don't want cluttering up the Epic Panel, so want ONLY the In-Progress ones to show. Is this possible with this new change or can I configure this somehow? Previously we used some automations to mark the Epic Status as 'Done' to clear them from the Epic Panel. 

Vessie Dracheva June 27, 2023

I really don't appreciate this change or the lack of heads-up before implementing it.

We've always used Epic names as concise tags, and Epic Summary as the place to elaborate in detail. Now our board, backlog and epics list are a complete mess which I need to fix, only Epic names are gone from everywhere! Good thing we have spreadsheets as well...

Chris F June 27, 2023

Is there anyway to have the epic lozenge not display in all uppercase? We've had some users complain that it makes it harder to read.

Michael Böhm June 27, 2023

I don't like that change at all. The summary is way to long and the new colors are hard to read. Pleas roll back the change!

Comment