Incidents happen. Let us know how you want to manage incident-related tasks in Jira Software.

Hi đź‘‹ community!

I’m Megan, a product manager focused on improving how software and IT teams manage incidents, leaving more time for feature work and proactive maintenance.

We hear that incidents are hard to manage. They don’t have to be.

I’ve heard from some of you that dealing with incidents and maintenance work can happen outside of the work you track in Jira Software.

This can make incidents harder to manage, as you have to jump between tools to understand incidents and create Jira issues. When tasks happen outside Jira work plans, it distorts productivity metrics like cycle time and story points completed, undervaluing that “invisible work.”

In the aftermath of an incident teams can generate great ideas about how to prevent the next incident, only to write up a page that gets quickly forgotten. I want to make it easier to get that follow up work reflected in Jira so that incidents are fully dealt with and future ones are prevented.

Let’s make it easier to see and take action on incidents from Jira Software

My team is developing a new “Incidents” tab in Jira Software that we hope strengthens how your team handles incidents. This tab is a place where your team can…

• Prioritize the most important work: review incidents by priority, affected service, and status to quickly identify incidents that require your team’s attention.

• Establish proactive practices: create post-incident reviews (PIRs) to help your team discuss root causes, remediation options, and how to prevent incidents from recurring.

• Save time and make incidents more manageable: link and create issues with pre-populated incident details that provide context to support teammates picking up the work.

Intaking work related to incidents ahead of your next sprint will make sure that those tasks are considered as the work plan comes together.

Incidents - Jira - 14 February 2024 pt 1.gif

Incidents - Jira - 14 February 2024 pt 2.gif

To get started, check out the Incidents tab from the left hand navigation of Jira Software (we are progressively rolling out, so if you don’t see it yet it’s coming soon for you!) Within the Incidents tab anyone on the team can identify which Affected Services the team is responsible for, so that only incidents impacting those services appear in the tab.

What do you think - will the Incidents tab improve how your team tackles incidents?

Please let me know your initial reactions in the comments. If you have already engaged with the Incidents tab, let’s talk! You can sign up here to share feedback with me. First there’s a short survey to make sure you’re a good fit.

• Sessions are 45 minutes and conducted over video-conference, so you can participate from anywhere around the globe.

• During the research, we'll start with a general chat to get to know you, then review your experiences with the Incidents Tab and your ideas about future capabilities you would value.

• As a token of our appreciation, you'll receive an e-gift card worth $100 USD within 5 business days of completing your session.

Not a user of Jira Service Management but feeling like this Incidents tab would be useful to your team? Let me know below what sources you’d like to see incidents from! We are working with a few partners now to extend the experience to cover more of the products you use.

Thanks in advance for sharing your perspective on this!

Megan

4 comments

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2024

Thanks, @Megan Schumann . This sounds great! How to check if it's going to be rolled out to a specific instance? Do we need to request it?

Like • # people like this
Megan Schumann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2024

Hi @Carlos Garcia Navarro I'm so glad it resonates! Soon I'll have a sign up page where you can register your interest and will that link here so we can make sure your team has access to it!

Rogers Pereira
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 12, 2024

Hi @Megan Schumann , 
Is there an ETA for rolling out the feature as a default? I haven’t seen it yet, and I'm really looking forward to it. 

Megan Schumann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 13, 2024

@Rogers Pereira I am SO glad to hear that!

I've just done some customer interviews (thanks to everyone who signed up for interviews in the above link!) and we are incorporating feedback into this feature. It would be great to understand more about how your team handles incidents and would benefit from this new feature, too. If you reach out to me on LinkedIn I'll find us time to connect!

We'll be demoing it at Team'24 (which starts April 30) in a couple of sessions and it will be generally available not long thereafter. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events