How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

jira-software-largest-customers-infographic.png

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team.

One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparable growth goals. As a member of the Jira Software team, I’m also interested in figuring out the size of our customers and how that impacts how they use Jira Software. So, I’m asking:

What are the most issues in a single instance of Jira Software? How many users? What about workflows, custom fields, or apps?

Believe it or not, even internally at Atlassian, these questions can be tricky to answer. We set out to learn who might be close …

Want to see how you stack up to our largest Jira customers? We've wrangled the numbers into a downloadable infographic. We also got some help from our Technical Account Managers (TAMs), who work with our largest customers to help them scale their usage of Atlassian products. They've provided some handy tips on how to set yourself up for using Jira at greater scale in your own company.

Download the Infographic

Tell us your reactions - which Jira statistics are the most surprising to you? Do any of the tips resonate? If you're in this scaling Jira scenarios and are looking for more advice, let us know how we can help!

10 comments

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2018

Wonderful video all! I love seeing what Atlassians think about the software. 

What do you think is the best way to gauge best practices at scale compared to larger companies? My hope in the future is that the community engagement teams continue to find creative ways to bubble that knowledge up and shine a light on those practices. 

Shana
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2018

@Meg Holbrook That's a great point - we can definitely help to add some context to what larger customers are doing around best practices. 

This discussion on archiving is a good example of community threads we can take back and build more content around to benefit the community. Are there any particular best practice topics you'd like to see us investigate or surface?

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2018

@Shana, I think a deeper look into the statistics that are provided in the infographic would be a great starting point. It would be awesome to see an expanded article around the Pro Tip concepts such as:

• PRO TIP Have a plan for user growth based on both employee count, business units onboarding to Jira, and projected future growth. - What does this look like? 
  • PRO TIP Our largest customers put processes in place for change management: adding custom fields, workflows, apps, and other customizations go through a vetting process before they are approved.
  • PRO TIP Once you add apps, it may be difficult to take them away from your users. Before you install an add-on, ensure there’s a business requirement for it, and do your due diligence before installing.

I often see users in the forums who are brand new to project management as a whole struggling to find out where to start. There are a ton of resources in regards to 'how to' administer Atlassian applications, but I think there's added value in saying, "Hey, we're all in this together, and this is how the larger companies have found success."

Bigger doesn't always mean better, but I think there's something to be said about deploying JIRA to scale (hats off to the 5mil issues team!).

Use cases are invaluable to many teams, especially in cases where you're a small organization that may not have the reach to discuss with a larger group.   

Shana
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 21, 2018

@Meg Holbrook Great feedback that we can take action on. Thank you for raising it!

This blog post (The human side to scaling Jira Software) has some detail, but we have plenty of opportunity to surface more best practices. We'll keep working on it!

Richard Bauer May 23, 2018

I wholeheartedly agreed with @Meg Holbrook. Having been a user of Atlassian's products on and off for the past 3 years, the biggest struggle I faced with Jira in the beginning was were to start. Then having to figure out how to get the buy in of business, and all the users. It's easy enough to say "hey, just start, we will learn and build as we move along" however the fear of heading down the wrong path is strong.

I believe that Atlassian breeds the culture of inclusion, and many of it's clients feel the same way. If the bigger players in the field would be willing to share their insight and where they started to where they are now, that would be a big win.

Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2018

Hi,

Great. Numbers provided in the infographic are interesting. 

If possible, Request you to share details about these Instances. These users are using which instance (Jira server/ Jira datacenter/ jira cloud) ?

can you get stats for each type instance(Jira server/ Jira datacenter/ jira cloud)  and suggestions /  notes from these users for the community.

Orazio Pensabene June 11, 2018

I also agree with @Meg Holbrook. I have been leading a fortune 500 company with 2000 license for three and half years now and am a big user of Atlassian's products my biggest struggle we face and continue to face with Jira is employees complaining about time tracking. We still have not figured out to satisfy all, but the data collected has been invaluable. Now we are trying to get the buy in of our business partners, to do the same. I also agree with Richard's comment that not knowing the product for the first time it would be easy enough to say "hey, just start anywhere, we will learn and build as we move along" however the fear of heading down the wrong path is strong. so we built a development environment and allowed some team leads and IT VP's to play and then we formed a committee and a business owner and Jenn has done wonder standardizing all 5 departments, now Jira is running smoothly no issues to report.

I also believe that Atlassian breeds a culture of inclusion, and many of it's customers feel the same way. SO I am sharing my story its not good if you feel scared because without fear what are we... Planning and giving yourself a place to fail first is a good thing...

Kevin Verre June 24, 2018

* Really polish the user experience so that it's easier to go from new user to enthusiastic fan, and harder to go from enthusiastic fan to mildly disappointed and frustrated user. What trips up and confuses new users? What confuses and frustrates experienced users?
* Consider offering other products as variants of the core experience that appeal to a wider audience.

Grace Wang June 27, 2018

I don't know if JIRA can grow at all. I am looking for a better product. JIRA is very hard to use so far. The customer support or product support has not been useful. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 27, 2018

@Grace Wang if you're looking for some help starting with Jira, our New to Jira collection may be helpful to you. Feel free to ask any questions you have there!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events