Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We asked Atlassian, “Does their next higher version of Ji...

Mua Ly March 31, 2021
  1. We asked Atlassian, “Does their next higher version of Jira SM provide for more email integration functionality?
    1. Atlassian said, “This is already exists. See the "Receiving requests by email" in this Link 
    2. Tommy: Go to that link. It says, “Set up a suitable request type with Summary and Description as required, visible fields. Any other fields must be optional.” 
    3. What does “any other fields must be optional” mean? It seems to imply that they can pick up other information from the email. This is important to investigate.

Please response tot he question number 3 above.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2021

Hi @Mua Ly ,

The other fields for the issue type must be optional, because the email channel can only process the Summary (populated from the email's subject line) and Description (populated from the email's body) fields. If other fields are required for the issue type, the email handler won't be able to create the issue, as it won't know what to put in those fields.

The only other fields you can affect directly via email are the Reporter and Participants, based on putting people in the To or CC fields of the email itself.

As @Foo Guan Sim - ServiceRocket mentioned, you'll need to use an app if you want to extend the email handling capabilities in Jira Service Management Cloud . You'd want to look at an app that has some way of delineating custom fields in the email body, or parsing out text to go into custom fields.

You could also consider using Jira's Automation to look through the body of the email (transformed into the Description field when the issue is created) and use regular expressions or pattern matching to find information and populate any custom fields you need filled out. The fields would still have to be optional or else issue creation would fail, but the Automation could save you some time in the long run if it's able to find the information you need in the email and put it in a custom field.

All that being said though, if you truly need some information provided during issue creation (if you're considering required fields), the safest methods to ensure that would be:

Both these methods allow you to control which fields someone needs to fill out when they're creating an issue.

Cheers,
Daniel

Mua Ly March 31, 2021

Thank you.

1 vote
Foo Guan Sim - ServiceRocket March 31, 2021

@Mua Ly I think you're in the wrong section of Community mate. This is the best place to get answers to your questions: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/ct-p/jira-service-desk .

Just to save you some time, the answer you are looking for requires JEMH. See: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-Email-contents-are-mapped-to-the-issue-fields-what-should-be/qaq-p/419707

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2021

@Foo Guan Sim - ServiceRocket right on - I've moved this part of the thread from the original place it was posted to its own question in the Jira Service Management part of Community.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Mua Ly March 31, 2021

Who can assist us with this question?

0 votes
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2021

I do not know.  My experience is limited to Jira Software; I have no experience with Jira Service Manager.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events