How Email contents are mapped to the issue fields- what should be the email format

mnpiad March 11, 2013

Hello,

I configured the mail hadler and it works fine i am able to create new issues via email but how do i map the fields what should be the format of the email so the values are written to the correct field

example In the email i need

Summary value should be mapped to Summay field

Type value----> to be mapped to the issue type field

State value---> should be mapped to State field

Functional area value --->should be mapped to Functional area

I did not find any documentation on email formats any one can point me to one if its available ?

Also how do i modify an existing issue via email ? what should be the email format and subject line

In Clearquest mail the email has to be written in certain format so the fields values are written to the correct fields

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2013

To follow up, JEMH has the capability to update all standard fields in an issue, this can be done through Directives, which are values supplied in specific format, interpreted by JEMH Field Processors. This will work well if a user wants to update issues by email, or if you have a weform somewhere that ends us as email content (eg Confluence MailFormNg).

Examples for formats would be

• (subject) : A subject #issueType=bug #field="X,this and that"
  • (body, preceeding content) : @issueType=bug

If you have a pre-determined email structure, you can use the JEMH Regexp Field Processor, which uses regular expressions to extract values from a structured email body, and map them to fields you define. I have quite a few organisations using this appraoch to integrate 3rd party systems with JIRA. The RegexpFP also uses some unique key specific to the remote system, stored in a custom field, to locate 'current' issues such that repeat emails become comments on the original (open) issue.

Happy to discuss further.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2013

You have not said what email handler you are using.

The default handlers are quite simple - they populate summary from subject, description from the body, and they make some assumptions about reporter, assignee and issue type. That's it, they don't do any more. Your field mappings need something more advanced, so we need to know what handler you might be using before we run off in the wrong direction...

mnpiad March 11, 2013

I am using "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2013

No, I'm sorry, I was not clear. What mail handler are you trying/using/looking-at in Jira?

The mail server doesn't matter as long as Jira can read/write it.

mnpiad March 11, 2013

Hi I am using POP mailserver. Our mail server is on solaris and we use sendmail hope this helps

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 11, 2013

Ok, that's a handler that behaves as I described. It won't try to do any field type processing.

You need to find or write a handler that will look for and process your fields. Every time email is part of a question, the answer is pretty much "JEMH" - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.javahollic.jira.jemh-ui

If you don't want to do that, I'd have another look through the marketplace, and then think about writing a specific handler for your needs.

Suggest an answer