Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User with Customer access on Jira Service Management, but full User access to Jira Work Management?

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2022

We're looking at how to combine our multiple Jira instances and move from Server to Cloud. We currently have a cloud Jira Service Management instance, which people from our customers access as Customer users (i.e. using the portal only). We have a server Jira Core instance, which customers access as full users. Some of the customers are the same as those people who use Jira Service Management.

I'm trying to decide between migrating the Jira Core users to Jira Work Management under the same URL as Jira Service Management, or setting up a new URL and keeping the two separate.

If I combined them, and I had a user with portal access to Jira Service Management AND full user access to Jira Work Management, but on different Jira projects, what would my experience be like? Will it get too complicated, with people getting stuck in parts of Jira they don't want to be in?

3 answers

3 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Utkarsh Agarwal _Nagarro_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2022

Hi @Neil Arrowsmith

I had also worked on a similar setup before and it is manageable, all you need to do is to make sure to manage the application accesses through Atlassian organization groups and JSM project administrators are well trained towards managing their agents access. 

If I combined them, and I had a user with portal access to Jira Service Management AND full user access to Jira Work Management, but on different Jira projects, what would my experience be like? Will it get too complicated, with people getting stuck in parts of Jira they don't want to be in?

The JWM and JSM works quite well along side and should not meddle with each other's functionality if the access are well sorted.

Kind Regards
Utkarsh

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2022

Thanks Utkarsh - good to know. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2022

No, it should be pretty straight forward. As long as you do not add your customers as users in the JSM project they will not be able to see that project when they access a JWM project. We have a similar set up where our internal customers are using JSW for development, but they can only access our JSM projects via Helpdesk Center.

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2022

Thanks Mikael

0 votes
Answer accepted
Debra Lee August 24, 2022

No, it shouldn't be hard to figure out. As long as you don't add your customers as users to the JSM project, they won't be able to see that project when they access a JWM project. Our internal customers also use JSW for development, but they can only get to our JSM projects through the Helpdesk Center.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/User-with-Customer-access-on-Jira-Service-Management-but-full/qaq-p/1904225/backrooms game

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events