Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Updating Jira work tasks from JSM and vice versa

Greetings

Fighting and learning at the same time. I want to set up an automation rule that when a customer updates comments on a JSM ticket, either by email or via the portal, the same comment gets added to the associated JIRA work ticket (assuming one exists).

It would also be fantastic if we could set this up the opposite way as well, so comments made to a JIRA work ticket that has an associated JSM ticket would update that as well.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks and Regards

Nigel.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi Nigel,

There are a couple of posts on this, do either of these options help?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-copy-comments-form-a-ticket-in-Project-X-to-a-related/qaq-p/1013279#:~:text=The%20best%20option%2C%20in%20this,Automation%20Lite%20for%20Jira%20Cloud).&text=Please%2C%20give%20it%20a%20try,us%20know%20how%20it%20goes.&text=Hello%20Neil%2C,issue%20and%20import%20into%20another.

or

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Copy-Comment-to-linked-Issue-when-new-comment-is-added/qaq-p/1604705

You could look at setting up a custom link type between the JSM and Jira Work Management projects to limit the scope of the rule.

You can also do something quite cool in the workflows of either app called a "recursive transition" where the transition loops back into the same status, and this appears as an "Action" button on the Jira UI.  When you have this transition set up you could  add an automation rule to say when an issue transitions from STATUS to STATUS (following your recursive workflow) then create a new issue in Project X and copy the relevant fields across, and set the link type as (whatever your new link type is)

Hope this helps

Thanks Mike - very similar - I actually found one five minutes before you post and after wrangling through the auditing process (damn! that's good) I managed to get it working. I'll post my solution below - I'm sure it will get refined as we go forward.

Like Mike Clarke likes this

Cool glad you found a solution :) 

I did wonder though, why would you want to have a duplicate issuetype in Jira Work Management?
Could you not achieve what you wanted by using collaborator "licenses"?

I used the recursive transition example when an organisation wanted to keep their JSM license count down and use a project in Jira Software for approvals from non-service desk agents (managers etc).  Is this the same sort of scenario you're in?

I don't think I explained myself clearly. All I wanted to do is to have any comments on a JSM issue be cloned into any linked issues in JIRA Software.  As shown below it works perfectly ,Appreciate your input.

Like Mike Clarke likes this

I got this to work after realising that I had to "de-restrict it" to work across multiple projects. Thanks to @Mike Clarke  for the suggestions - this is what I currently have running.

Selection_113.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Management

Jira Service Management Documentation Opportunities

Hello everyone, Hope everyone is safe! A few months ago we posted an article sharing all the new articles and documentation that we, the AMER Jira Service Management team created. As mentioned ...

298 views 0 9
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you