Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Jira work tasks from JSM and vice versa

Nigel Allen May 16, 2022

Greetings

Fighting and learning at the same time. I want to set up an automation rule that when a customer updates comments on a JSM ticket, either by email or via the portal, the same comment gets added to the associated JIRA work ticket (assuming one exists).

It would also be fantastic if we could set this up the opposite way as well, so comments made to a JIRA work ticket that has an associated JSM ticket would update that as well.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks and Regards

Nigel.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Clarke
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Hi Nigel,

There are a couple of posts on this, do either of these options help?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-copy-comments-form-a-ticket-in-Project-X-to-a-related/qaq-p/1013279#:~:text=The%20best%20option%2C%20in%20this,Automation%20Lite%20for%20Jira%20Cloud).&text=Please%2C%20give%20it%20a%20try,us%20know%20how%20it%20goes.&text=Hello%20Neil%2C,issue%20and%20import%20into%20another.

or

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Copy-Comment-to-linked-Issue-when-new-comment-is-added/qaq-p/1604705

You could look at setting up a custom link type between the JSM and Jira Work Management projects to limit the scope of the rule.

You can also do something quite cool in the workflows of either app called a "recursive transition" where the transition loops back into the same status, and this appears as an "Action" button on the Jira UI.  When you have this transition set up you could  add an automation rule to say when an issue transitions from STATUS to STATUS (following your recursive workflow) then create a new issue in Project X and copy the relevant fields across, and set the link type as (whatever your new link type is)

Hope this helps

Nigel Allen May 16, 2022

Thanks Mike - very similar - I actually found one five minutes before you post and after wrangling through the auditing process (damn! that's good) I managed to get it working. I'll post my solution below - I'm sure it will get refined as we go forward.

Like Mike Clarke likes this
Mike Clarke
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Cool glad you found a solution :) 

I did wonder though, why would you want to have a duplicate issuetype in Jira Work Management?
Could you not achieve what you wanted by using collaborator "licenses"?

I used the recursive transition example when an organisation wanted to keep their JSM license count down and use a project in Jira Software for approvals from non-service desk agents (managers etc).  Is this the same sort of scenario you're in?

Nigel Allen May 16, 2022

I don't think I explained myself clearly. All I wanted to do is to have any comments on a JSM issue be cloned into any linked issues in JIRA Software.  As shown below it works perfectly ,Appreciate your input.

Like Mike Clarke likes this
0 votes
Nigel Allen May 16, 2022

I got this to work after realising that I had to "de-restrict it" to work across multiple projects. Thanks to @Mike Clarke  for the suggestions - this is what I currently have running.

Selection_113.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events