• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Copy Comment to linked Issue when new comment is added

when I try try this, it will work for first comment added but future comments between my JIRA cloud projct and JSM project will not be added:

Comment1 config.PNG Commen Log.PNG

When I try using a branch with condition to linked issues  it will run in a loop and add multiple duplicate comments.

I simply want to add any new comment added from JIRA cloud ticket to linked JSM ticket.  If not JSM is useless to me as I dont want my team to have to maintain both JIRA and JSM tickets independently.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
wwalser Atlassian Team Feb 09, 2021

Hi Tim,

From your screenshot, it appears that the "Prevent duplicates by only adding this comment once to a particular issue" checkbox is unchecked. However, the audit log message is the message that we provide when a comment is prevent _because of that checkbox_. 

That's actually a minor point as the configuration of your rule won't do what you're intending. A rule configured as in your screenshot will add a duplicate comment the issue on which the original event was triggered. That is to say, when a comment is created on issue A, if issue A has a linked "duplicate" issue, issue B, a comment will be added to issue A containing the contents of the latest comment on issue A.

I was able to create the automation that I believe you're after and have provided screenshots of that automation from my own instance.

Of note, two important pieces of configuration are shown:

1. The prevent duplicate checkbox on the comment action component must be unchecked. This allows multiple issues to be moved from one issue to the other.
  2. The actor of the rule must be set to Automation for Jira to prevent the rule from creating a circular execution loop where a comment created by automation begits yet another comment being created on the other issue and on and on forever.

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.16.18 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.17.49 am.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.17.54 am.png

Best,
Wes

Thank you Wes.  I hope to become a JIRA Automation expert in the near future.  Very powerful.  I appreciate your time and excellent documentation of this rule.

1 vote
Jack Community Leader Feb 07, 2021

Check your comment rule to see if you have it set to not perform duplicate action. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you