Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-task Progress Bar

Riley Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2024

Hello everyone!

Have you ever wanted to display a progress bar in your JSM to your customers? I've built a solution that might work for this problem using Unicode symbols. This has been a highly requested feature, so I'm hoping this workaround might help others out.

I used a Unicode progress bar generator, and found that these symbols display the best on Windows and Mac. You can find the symbol generator here.

Preface

This solution can be adapted in any way that fits your needs. In this example, the progress bar is posted in the comments, but you can also place it in the description if desired. In our instance, we use it for specific tickets that we want the customer to view the status of, and it also includes the summary of the recently 'done' sub-task to keep it clear for the customer. Feel free to customize it in whatever fashion suits your needs. For example:

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 9.02.19 AM.png

Before we create the automation, we'll need to create a custom number field and insert in to the desired project. This field will be used to 'host' and 'convert' the number for the automation. In this example, the custom field is called 'task percentage.' I wasn't able to find a solution that did not include creating a custom field. 

Solution

I'm a little extra sometimes and changed the font color in the lookup table, but not necessary :) 

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 7.32.13 AM.png

Automation Steps:

1. When: Issue transitioned
    • Issue Type: Sub-task
  2. Then:
    • Create lookup table {{percent}}
      • You'll need to create a lookup table from 0.0 to 100.0. I did increments of 5. The automation will round later.
      • {“key":"0.0","value":"{color:grey}▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯{color}"},

{"key":"5.0","value":"{color:green}{color}{color:grey}▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯{color}"}

{"key":"10.0","value":"{color:green}▮▮{color}{color:grey}▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯{color}"}

{"key":"15.0","value":"{color:green}▮▮▮{color}{color:grey}▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯{color}"}

{"key":"20.0","value":"{color:green}▮▮▮▮{color}{color:grey}▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯{color}"}
    • Lookup issues
      • Parent = {{issue.parent.key}} and status = Done
  3. Branch ↴ For: Parent
      • And: Edit issue fields
        • Task percentage field: {{#=}}{{lookupIssues.size}} / {{issue.subtasks.size}} * 100{{/}}
      • And: Re-fetch issue data
      • And: Edit issue fields
        • {{#=}}{{issue.task percentage.divide(5).round}}*5{{/}}
      • And: Re-fetch issue data
      • And: Add comment to issue
        • h1. {{percent.get(issue.task percentage)}}
          Ticket Progress Update: Tasks completed: {{issue.task percentage.format("###")}}%

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 9.12.19 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 9.12.27 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 9.58.51 AM.png

This automation will create a visual representation of the progress bar and update the ticket's status accordingly. Feel free to tweak the steps based on your specific requirements.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for improvement.

3 comments

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2024

Lean-bravo GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Like Riley Sullivan likes this
Steve Fitzgerald January 31, 2024

This isn't working for me. The customer number field, Task Percentage, is blank on the parent issue as is {{issue.task percentage.format("###")}}% in the comment.

The audit log is showing the value calculated in {{=}}{{issue.task percentage.divide(5).round}}*5{{/}} it just doesn't appear to be updated Task Percentage field correctly after the addition to the audit log, but before the second re-fetch issue data. 

Any suggestions? 

Steve Fitzgerald February 2, 2024

@Riley Sullivan I rechecked my automation and nothing jumps out at me as being different than what you posted. Is the second Edit issue fields step really supposed to edit the Task Percentage field? It seems like it's trying to update a field that it's using to calculate the value.

Riley Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2024

Hi @Steve Fitzgerald

The second edit for task percentage is intentional. The first is grabbing the exact percentage (ie 17.5%).

The second is rounding to the nearest number divisible by 5. Otherwise the lookup table would need every possible variable to work. Which is why the lookup table goes by 5's.

Is your custom field a number field?

Steve Fitzgerald February 9, 2024

That makes sense and what I figured. Yes, my customer field is a number field. 

Lacy Saute
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2024

Ohh cool! Thanks for sharing!

Like Riley Sullivan likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events