Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send approvals automatically to reporting manager?

Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2022

Hi!

Currently users need to manually type/search for their manager's name in order to add them to the request.

We do not have a group of approvers, like Jira is relying on, instead we require direct managerial approval.

I am not sure if I am just thinking backwards or if this geniunely isn't possible to do.

I would like to have create a field for users where we store their managers name. So in the case a user creates a service requests which requires managerial approval, there would be a workflow in place which would automatically send the request to the person listed in the user's manager field. Is this possible?

(And in an perfect world this information would of course also be automatically imported from our SSO along with the user.)

3 answers

1 vote
Eduardo Oliveira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 2, 2022

Hi @Tobias H

Eduardo here, I'm a Marketplace partner, dropping by just to share with you one more solution that may help you to tackle this challenge.

If you are open to using an app, take a look at this one - Mindpro Sync. This app allows you to integrate OKTA, Azure AD, or OneLogin with Jira and JSM and retrieve user attributes.

With this integration, you can: Connect JIRA and JSM with identity providers (like OKTA, Azure, or OneLogin), select and map user attributes to be displayed in Jira issues or JSM requests (and portal) (such as email, phone, manager name, department, company hierarchy, and more) and choose to display the user attributes from the issue Reporter or Assignee;

After this, the app allows you to show the user reporting hierarchy in Issues and JSM requests to facilitate escalation and approvals and automatically assign approvers based on user hierarchy.

I hope that helps, Eduardo Oliveira.

1 vote
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2022

Hi @Tobias H ,

welcome to the community!

In order to put in place your requirement you could try our plugin Herzum Approval. More information are available at the following URL https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211763/herzum-approval?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

Hope this helps,

Fabio

0 votes
Vinay Pinjala September 15, 2022

Hi @Tobias H 

Hope you are doing well. 

I have the exact same question as yours and would like to know the approach you took to solve your problem. My company uses Okta which has data of all our employees and their managers mapped; and would like to implement the service requests in JIRA such that they go to their respective reporting managers for approval.

Any details that you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vinay

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events