Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting a Reporter from Resolving/Canceling Issues

Mike Thomas June 28, 2024

Currently, the one who created an issue (reporter) can resolve/cancel the case, just like the assignee can. We would like to make it to where only the assignee is allowed to cancel/resolve the case. I've looked through the permissions screen but are not seeing an option like this. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Thank you,

MT

3 answers

2 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2024

Hi @Mike Thomasyes, you can create this restriction with a workflow condition. 

Visit: Admin > Issues > Workflows

Open the workflow(s) used by your project and edit the transition(s) leading to the resolve and/or cancel statuses. I don't have an example with the same wording you shared, so please consider my workflow transition named "Done" as the same as yours named "resolve" or "cancel". 

workflow.png

To add the condition, click on the transition (named "Done (51)" in my example.

condition1.png

On the next screen, click the "Condition" tab at the bottom of the page. Then click the "Add condition" button.

condition.png

On the "Add Condition to Transition" page, choose the option named "Only Assignee Condition" and click the form submission button.

Here's what the transition should look like with the condition added.

condition2.pngFinally, publish your workflow and test the result.

And just a reminder, a condition checks whether a transition can be performed by a user.

• If a Condition is true, the user sees the transition button.
  • If a Condition is false, the transition button is hidden.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

0 votes
Mike Thomas June 28, 2024

Thanks everyone. I can setup/edit automations, add/remove users and process many other changes, however, when I navigate to "Workflow" it doesn't appear I have the proper access. Thanks for the feedback, the steps to accomplish this seems pretty straightforward but it does appear I'll need to reach out to our admin for this. Ty!

-MT

jira_workflow.JPG

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2024

Hi, @Mike Thomas  👋

By default, the "Service Desk Customer—Portal Access" group gets permission to Resolve and/or Close issues. However, this is not mandatory, and therefore, you can craft a new permission scheme for it.

In my experience, changing permission schemes need to be done thoughtfully and carefully (to avoid unintended outcomes).  I highly recommend you start here and read through this and the associated pages before you start making changes:

Overview of Jira Cloud permissions

Once you have a good grasp of things, go here to make the change:

Customize Jira Service Management permissions

Best,

-dave

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events