Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No attachment trigger in Jira Automation

Aleksandra Leesment August 29, 2024

There doesn't seem to be a built-in way to catch events when attachments are being added via comments.

If an attachment was added via comments, it doesn't count as issue update or Attachments field change, so the respective triggers (issue update and field update) don't work.

We need a trigger for Attachment addition/removal. A possible solution would be to track the number of attachments in the Attachments field. If an attachment is added (via comment or directly to the field), then the count increases, working as a trigger.

I've tried different built-in workarounds but nothing worked. The only workable solution I found is having two automation rules:

1. One rule with a "field updated" trigger (Attachments field) and it works when attachment is directly added to the Attachments field.

2. Another rule with a "comment added" trigger and it checks if attachments exist or not using a condition block.

Having two duplicate automations with different triggers creates unnecessary workload. A simple trigger would eliminate such issues.

I couldn't add any suggestions for Atlassian Cloud, I guess they closed the inbox, so I'm starting the discussion here.

For context, we can't use any add-ons in my company and setting up web-hooks from other services to resolve this issue seems impractical.

Let me know your thoughts.

1 comment

Robert DaSilva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2024

This seems to be a known issue with Atlassian Cloud. You can view and vote for a resolution on the bug ticket here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AUTO-1362

There was also an older ticket specifically related to the Attachment trigger, which seems to be closed: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AUTO-250

Like Aleksandra Leesment likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events