Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Language selection without a user account

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2020

For a public servicedesk project we opened up the JSD portal to allow anonymous submission of an issue.

This portal however would need to be multilingual as the users raising these requests are not all native English speakers.

We've added the required languages through the "Language Support" menu but can not find a way to force a user to certain language.

From what I gather the language could be taken from the browser setting but we could like to find a way where the customer can choose the language they are viewing the portal in (before any login occurs) or give the customer the possibility to go through a specific URL that immediatly displays the correct portal language.

Anybody got any idea? Creating an account and then submitting the issue is not an option.

1 answer

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2020

Hello Dirk,

Thank you for your question.

On Service Desk, the login page language is based on the system's default language. 

It was actually reported as a bug because the system language overrides the browser language and the language set by the customer. 

And also, there is a feature request:

So, if you change the system language (Cog icon > System > General configuration > Default language) to Spanish, German, French, for example, customers will see the login page with one of those languages, despite their browser language is in English. 

It will also override some information in the portal if customers select to detect the browser language. Here is an example where the system language is Spanish and my browser is in Portuguese:

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.57.33.png

Projects and some details are in English and some details shows in Spanish. 

With all this said, I'm afraid that it's not possible to do what you need due to the bug because the expected behavior would be the login page to show as the browser language. 

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2020

Hi @Angélica Luz

Thanks for the extensive explanation.

While having both the system default language and (when the bug is solved) also the browser language dictate the portal language is already great, what I'm really looking for is the ability of the user to manually select the language they want to view on the portal (out of the languages we translated of course)

OR/AND

the ability to force a user to a specific language based on a parameter in the url.

Normally I would tell them to change their profile language but these users will never log in as our portal will be fully public.

Seems to be what was mentioned in JRACLOUD-12847 which was sadly resolved as "won't do" about 5y ago.

Perhaps a chance to revisit this/launch a new suggestion?

Like Christopher O_ CBC likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2020

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans,

There are some similar feature requests that suggest the same option we have in our portal where customers can select the language before creating a request.

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 11.26.20.png

Regarding the URL, I didn't find any feature or workaround for that. 

Like Christopher O_ CBC likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2020

Hi @Angélica Luz

Something like the contact page would indeed be great! I'll vote and watch those requests and hope for the best :)

Like # people like this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2020

Hi @Angélica Luz

As a follow up, I don't know if something changed on Cloud but currently my browser language is being respected when I go to my anonymous customer portal.

Changing my browser language from English to Dutch to French shows me a translated anonymous portal.

Let's hope this is not a temporary fluke!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events