Jira dropdown

Steve_Miller-Perry July 3, 2021

Hi, 

I am not an Admin - merely investigating if Jira has the capabilities to complete an action to solve a problem - and I have been tasked with the following:

Question: Is it possible for a non-admin to create a dropdown option in a Jira ticket, to assign 10 or more variables to that list from which team members can select from the list, choose an option and assign a level of importance in an identical feature/function to the side of the main dropdown?

How this would look, might be: 2 dropdowns, side-by-side, variable 1 from dropdown 1 sits in parallel to variable 1 from dropdown 2. 

Criterion:

1) Must be free

2) Can require technical knowledge to implement but would prefer the easier low-technical ability option as a preference

3) Open to alternative options to solve a user need [user need = as a user of Jira I want to be able to open a Jira ticket and choose from a list (10+) of options, select one and then assign a level of importance to it (secondary in priority to the main dropdown) 1-4 levels. 

*So far I have investigated this and the closest solution that matches the problem stated above are here: 

1) https://docs.easyagile.com/easy-agile-personas/getting-started-with-easy-agile-personas/navigating-to-personas-in-jira/ 

2) https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/how-to-create-a-dropdown-list-in-JIRA-service-desk/qaq-p/1323582

…however, this option is NOT free and requires a subscription. 

Thanks

Steve

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2021

Hi @Steve_Miller-Perry

Unfortunately what you are asking it's not possible to happen. In JSM you need a Jira Admin to

• create the custom field and place it's values (in a cascading single select field)
  • associate the field with some screens

Any user who has not admin privileges, can't make the above operations. But besides this answer, could you please specify your exact need (rather than focusing on a wanted solution)? If it's the (3):

Open to alternative options to solve a user need [user need = as a user of Jira I want to be able to open a Jira ticket and choose from a list (10+) of options, select one and then assign a level of importance to it (secondary in priority to the main dropdown) 1-4 levels. 

The above can be achieve with cascading select fields.

Steve_Miller-Perry July 3, 2021

Hey Alex, thanks for taking the time to respond. I hope I have listened to your response well enough to answer here.

Even though an admin can only attend to this, that's not too bad a news, as i can pass that one with clear instructions.

So the need - if we look at it from a usability point of view - would have to be prioritised as efficiency and ease of use.

•  Efficiency in that it must save time over team members trying to remember each item on a list, spend time retrieving that information and then having to type it out each time. 
  • Ease of use being that its simple to use, 2-clicks versus typing could be seen as a preferred method of input in terms of interaction. 

As a user they need to have a way of retrieving a list of names that they may not be familiar with and not rely on memory, so that they can have exposure to the names (variables) and quickly choose what ones they think are the most suitable in the context of the Jira issue.

Building on your response - as I learn more - below is 1 article and a video I believe matches your earlier comment 'The above can be achieve with cascading select fields' 

Question -  An Admin with minimal Jira super-powers could with a degree of confidence or experimentation, go in and create a cascading select fields function at no extra cost (add-ons)?

*There were several subs/paid options but I discounted these as viable due to the criteria specified in the initial post.

Thanks 

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2021

Yes, no extra/additional cost is needed to create a cascading select field. Check out the following and let me know if this is something you are looking for. Keep in mind that all values will be predefined by a jira admin, and your users can only select them, but not alter them.

dropdown1.pngdropdown2.pngdropdown3.png

Steve_Miller-Perry July 5, 2021

Alex, this looks exactly what should meet the needs of team members, exposure to certain artefacts and increases efficiency and reduces the need to remember a list of variables. 

Great work - I assume you had taken time to create this of your own accord - this is very much appreciated. Thank you. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2021

@Steve_Miller-Perry this is pretty much standard Jira feature :)

I'm glad I was able to help you. If you find the time, kindly mark my answer as accepted :)

Cheers!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events