Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create a dropdown list in JIRA service desk?

Massimo March 12, 2020

Hi, I'd like to have not a textarea filed, but have a dropdown menu po fill with some values, and in the service desk it appears this dropdown menu, and not a free textarea

this because I have to let user choose one value from the dropdown, and in this dropdown I will put only values I decide

is it possible?

using the checklist module, it comes a textarea !!! I dont need a textarea

thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2020

Hi

Go to <jira-url>/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa and create a new select list custom field and it to the issue type of your project that you want.image.png

if you can't find which screen you should add, from following the link you can find screens of your project:

<jira-url>/plugins/servlet/project-config/<project-key>/screens

Then wen you want to edit the field for any request type related to this issue type, you could see your select list field.

image.png

If you need more help, let me know.

Massimo March 13, 2020

Hi, thanks, I have created a custom field like a dropdown menu, ok but now I dont find it when I try to modify fields of a request.

there are Always the same fields

after creating the custom field, there is a page where is required to associate the field to screens, but I dont know how to do..

because I need it will appear as a option I can check when I create a service request: 

Cattura.PNG

and what I need is to find and then be able to check the custom field I have created:

here I go to modify one service request: 

Cattura2.PNG

then I click on add fields:

Cattura3.PNG

...and I dont see the custom field here, so I cannot check it… :

Cattura4.PNG

could you help me ? thanks a lot

Massimo March 13, 2020

hi, I have created it, and now I find it

how can I edit now the cutom field I have created ?

Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2020

Hi

You did it well. As I see you choose Service Request Issue type for the request so you should add the new field to Service request create screen that you can find it here:

For editing new field you should come back to the custom field page, search your field and click on the Configure button:

<jira-url>/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa

Like Massimo likes this
Massimo March 13, 2020

hi thanks a lot.

A problem: 

1) when I choose a value in that dropdown, then that value is not shown in the Kanban dashboard of that ticket, so I dont know how to see which value people have chosen

2) there is a "summary" text field required, and I'm not able to delete or disable, because it's set I think for all service rwquests.. where can I tell that is not to be required? 

But the most important thing is the number 1) problem…. no values of that custom field  are shown in the ticket

Massimo March 13, 2020

PS: 

which is the <project-key> I have to put ?

Massimo March 13, 2020

and… have I to do a jira re-index in background? maybe is this problem why I don't see values when I open a ticket with a custom field value (a value from the dropdown I have created, is not shown when I see the ticket opened, so I dont know which value they choose from the dropdown… can be solved this problem bu a re-index in background ?

Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2020

Hi @Massimo 

1. The summary field is always required and need to have value, You can't do anything with it. 
  2. Project Key appear on different pages. You can see all of the project keys here:<jira-url>/secure/project/BrowseProjects.jspa?s=view_projects
  3. Could you give me a picture of your ticket where you want to see the field? Your field must exist on View Screen Issue. Did you add it? For adding field to Kanban cards see this Atlassian Documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/customizing-cards-938845307.html
Massimo March 16, 2020

hi, 

for answer 3:

I have not added on view screen issue, I dont know how to do… really...

PICTURES: 

when I create a request, then in kanban I see the ticket.

the title is what I have written in "summary".  see picture 1

But even if I click on that ticket, on the right part of the kanban, there is no the custom field value, nothing 

see picture 2

See picture 3

001.PNG002.PNG003.PNG

Massimo March 16, 2020

Hi ! 

I succeeded into adding this custom field to the kanban !!! First I didn't succeed because I was not that project administrator !

I have a last question !!!

THE PROBLEM: When I have created a custom field, it doesn't appear in service request fields to be added to the request !!!

Explain: 

- I click on Projects (in the upper part of the page)
- then I choose the project I need 
- then in the bottom left I click on the Project Settings
- then I click on "request type", then for default it goes to "general" group.
- I find all request types, I can add one or edit fields. I choose to edit fields
- and then i click to the button "add a field"

- …. and I dont find the custom field I have created !!!!!! why ?

See image attachedA1.PNGA2.PNG

Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2020

Hi

For see field in request editing page, You should add that field to Create screen for that request type, As you did it before.

Massimo March 26, 2020

ok I will try thanks

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2020

Hi,

I assume you're using a custom field to be displayed in the JSD frontend. What field type did you chose for the custom field?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/adding-a-custom-field-938847222.html

Best

JP

Massimo March 12, 2020

hi, I'm new in jira service desk, I mean that I need that the user can find a dropdown menu instead of a text filed or textarea

I attach you some screenshots

I go to projets settings --> service type --> and I have some service requests in one i choose to modify fields, but there are not dropdown menu options for a field

03.PNG01.PNG02.jpg

Could you help me ?

thanks

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2020

Yes, change the Checklists field in the custom field configuration. I send a documentation link. Follow the guidelines there.

Best

JP

Massimo March 13, 2020

hi, thanks. 

Massimo March 13, 2020

A problem: 

1) when I choose a value in that dropdown, then that value is not shown in the Kanban dashboard of that ticket, so I dont know how to see which value people have chosen

2) there is a "summary" text field required, and I'm not able to delete or disable, because it's set I think for all service rwquests.. where can I tell that is not to be required? 

But the most important thing is the number 1) problem…. no values of that custom field  are shown in the ticket

Tracy_de_Swiet April 26, 2020

Hello, it appears that the link  <jira-url>/plugins/servlet/project-config/<project-key>/screens  does not work. Could you assist? I am trying to do the same as above. Would be great if these 2 steps were linked so they could be done all at once.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events