Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instruct us on how to create and configure a form to populate tasks in a particular Jira project

Kojo July 28, 2021

How can I create and configure fields on a form that we would send to colleagues for them to create issues on the project?

I searched around and found info on Jira Issue Collectors, but that doesn't seem to be what we want (it looks like a widget to embed within another webpage - we are looking for a standalone form to link people too).

4 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2021

Hi @Kojo đź‘‹ -- the solutions from @Jack Brickey and @Joseph Chung Yin hit the mark. For more info on using ProForma specifically to create a link to a form, you can learn more about that feature (called Issue Forms) here:

http://links.thinktilt.net/create-issue

You can also give ProForma a try with the Lite version (free up to three form templates): ProForma Lite

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2021

@Kojo -

I agreed with @Jack Brickey comments.  Here at my work place (even though we are on DC and not CLOUD yet), we use Proforma to give project admin's flexibility to created custom forms and design the form's attributes to match Jira's fields.  It works great, but it is a separate add-on (fee based) for the Jira env current.

Documentation on Proforma for your reference - https://docs.thinktilt.com/proforma/

We also conduct the exact actions that Jack mentioned via the create screen, then we expose the URL that will take the users directly to the Jira issue creation screen for the project.

Example of Proforma benefit - Proforma allows the users to customize the field prompt in the Proforma form instead of the actual Jira field names (i.e. For each custom field, one can put the prompt in a question format - "What is your issue?")

Hope the helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2021

Typically you will build the “form” into the Create screen itself. However if you want a form as an attachment then you would likely be looking at an addon. Note that Atlassian acquired Thinktilt the maker of Proforma so I suspect to see something integrated in the near future. However, it may only be in Premium.

Kojo July 28, 2021

Thank you @Jack Brickey ,

Am confused. So there is no way?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2021

It depends on your requirements and expectations. Again, generally one would build the form into the create screen. For example I have one project that has about 10 custom fields. These custom fields are added to the create screen, some required some optional. These custom fields along with the existing system fields create the form the team needs when creating an issue in that project.

So the question here is what does your form look like and can it be created within Jira directly?

Like • Joseph Chung Yin likes this
Kojo August 11, 2021

Hello @Joseph Chung Yin @Peter Preston @Jack Brickey,

However, how does one create a "create issue" from within Jira, without relying on any add-ons? For example, how do I link a form to the original description created, and how could we create and configure a form like that to create issues on our project?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2021

@Kojo -

If don't want to use any add-ons, then you need to answer if the users are JSM customers or JSM agents.  Typically, users will use the portal to create JSM issues, and agents can create issue directly in the project via the project UI.

In the above case - you can try to send your user (non-agent) the URL link based on your portal's request type -  example 

https://<jirabased url>/servicedesk/customer/portal/10/create/397.   NOTE - Users still need to have account established against your JSM project(s).

On the other hand, you can try to send your user (agent) the URL link create issue link based on your project id and issue type id - example 

https://<jirabased URL>/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa?pid=25001&issuetype=10104.  NOTE - When issue get created in your JSD project, it will not associate with any request type via this method.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Like • Peter Preston likes this
0 votes
Stepan Fedortsiv_SaaSJet August 18, 2021

I think Business Process Manager is something that can cover your request partially.

Our company recently released it.

With this Add-on you can create the Template, which is basically scope of forms.

Every form can be assigned to the separate Assignee and creates separate Issue in the any project.

Every form element can be linked to the Jira custom field. So, once someone submitted the form, the field will be populated with submitted data.

Moreover, you can control when to start the the creating of those form.  

Kojo August 20, 2021

Hello @Stepan Fedortsiv_SaaSJet , @Joseph Chung Yin , @Peter Preston , @Jack Brickey ,

Can you advise on how to create a "create issue" form within Jira, without relying on any add-ons, please? Thank you.

Stepan Fedortsiv_SaaSJet August 20, 2021

@Kojo try Business Type (jira work management) project in Jira. It has a Form option. 

Go to Projects -> Create new one -> Select Personal.

Once created, Form option will be available.

Kojo August 20, 2021

Thank you @Stepan Fedortsiv_SaaSJet 

Any URL for this?

Stepan Fedortsiv_SaaSJet September 1, 2021

You have to navigate to Projects and then create some business one, for example Personal.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events