Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use custom field smart value to select Epic Link in Jira automation?

Peter Martens November 2, 2022

In our Jira Service Management environment our clients are creating tickets for our team to pick-up. On of the things the users can choose is the module for which they want to log a ticket.

These modules correspond to a few Epics we use (there are more epics about which the users don't need to know). There are no modules without a related epic.

Via Jira Automation we are automatically creating tickets in the board or sprint off our team when a new ticket is logged. The only problem is that I'm not able to set the Epic link based on the selected module chosen by the users.

An example:
User chooses Module with name "Planning"

There is an Epic named "Planning"

I want to update the epic of the created ticket to this Planning epic.

To do this I'm using smart values like this:

{{issue.module.value}}

This is giving "Planning" as output.

Unfortunately "Planning" is not recognized as a valid Epic Link (that will probably be more like "Planning (ISSUEKEY)".

Is there a way to solve this problem?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2022

I think that you may need to use the If/else condition to inspect the module value and set the epic link directly. This won't be too bad unless you have many modules/epics to deal with or the epics change frequently resulting in a lot of rework on the rule. Does this make sense? 

Peter Martens November 4, 2022

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your answer. I have put this in place, we have only five fixed modules, and it's working great.

I'll keep monitoring the community because I would be interested in a more direct solution.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events