Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restrict access for internal customers in Jira Service Desk?

Valerie Capasso July 12, 2022

I am setting up an internal service desk for employees to report issues/problems. What is the correct way to ensure that they have access to the portal but they aren't able to view the issues in our Jira core software? These are users who have access to other projects within Jira but we don't want them to have visibility into the Service Desk project to ensure they are always using the "customer portal" to enter tickets.

I've read several articles in Atlassian support but I can't seem to find a direct answer that solves my problem.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2022

@Valerie Capasso -

You can control visibility for your JSM project via the portal UI by configuring Customers Permissions -

2022-07-12_7-31-20.png

For your existing users (who have Jira Software Application access), as long as you avoid adding them directly to Service Desk Team or Administrators project role, then they access are restricted to the portal access UI based on the default permission configuration scheme associated to the JSM project.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Valerie Capasso July 12, 2022

After making this change, my internal users are no longer able to view the issues in Jira Software. BUT, it seems like this change broke two of my automation rules that I have setup. The automation rules are to send an email to certain distros when a new request is entered. Both failed, according to the audit log:

"Actor does not have permission to view one or more issues, or the issue was deleted"

Additionally, I can't view the request that was put in, its not showing in the portal or in Jira.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2022

@Valerie Capasso -

First of all, Jira Software is not JSM.  So did the solution resolved the issue where one can no longer access the issue via the project UI?

Who is the actor running your automation? Does the actor setup to access your JSM project.  Please provide more information, so I can further assist.

Best, Joseph

Valerie Capasso July 13, 2022

@Joseph Chung Yin - Yes, the issue was resolved where one can no longer access the issue via the project UI in Jira.

For the below automation rule, the Reporters in the group Client Operations are the same users that I am trying to restrict from seeing the project in the UI.

The actor is listed as Automation for Jira:

automationrule.JPG

Here is the audit log:

auditlog.JPG

Additionally, after making the change you suggested, myself and members of the Service Desk Team (agents) can no longer view service desk issues/requests in the portal or in the Jira UI.noaccess.JPGnoaccess2.JPG

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2022

@Valerie Capasso -

Please provide your permission configuration scheme used in your JSM project.  If you are using the out of the box default permission scheme then it should not caused your issues.

Lastly, can you provide what is your "Customer Access" configuration setup -  Use the Clogwheel > Products > Customer Access under the JSM section.

Best, Joseph

@Joseph Chung Yin 

See below screenshots. I am not using a custom permissions scheme.

projectpermissions1.JPGprojectpermissions2.JPGprojectpermissions3.JPG

@Joseph Chung Yin - I figured out the issue. There was an "issue security" rule setup which was blocking recently created issues.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2022

Excellent.  I was going to ask that next.  If my information provided in this case helped you, please click Accept Answer when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Irina_Bel_Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 28, 2022

Initially, you need to find a way to restrict access to the relevant Jira project to certain team members. I found docs on that and the answer in the community that might be helpful.

Then, you can create a forum for this project, that is restricted for certain users, with the help of the Customer Case for Jira app. In your case, it should be a public forum with a restriction by a domain of your company so that only your company can access the portal. Within this project, all the tickets created will be visible across your company. When a request is created, it gets directly to the relevant Jira project. But they can't access it internally, in Jira, since you've adjusted the permission scheme for it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events