Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to populate an Insight object custom field using automation?

Matt S September 12, 2022

We've recently completed a migration from Jira Server to Cloud. We have established separate object types for Departments and Applications, created Insight custom fields intended to house each, and have made those fields visible on the screens where we need them. The problem seems to be assigning values to those fields within automation.

At the moment, my understanding is that if I enter an IQL query in the field assignment box, whichever object is returned by that query should be assigned to the field. 

JiraCloudRelatedDeptsIQL.png

I'm not sure if my syntax is incorrect or what, but regardless of what I type in the field assignment box, Jira throws an error "An unknown error has occurred. Please reload and try again." Reloading has no discernable effect.

JiraCloudIQLError.png

I can manually select objects when interacting with those Insight custom fields on an issue edit/view screen, so I know the filter scope is correct.

Any advice on how to address this?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Pier-Olivier Tremblay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2022

Hi Matt,

The "Validate syntax" function throws an error even when the syntax is ok.

Discard this and save. It should be good.

PO Tremblay

FMX Solutions - Gold solution partner

Matt S September 13, 2022

Thanks @Pier-Olivier Tremblay , this was the trick. I hadn't attempted to run the rule on account of the error. Removing the objectType component that @Mikael Sandberg mentioned, such that the IQL query was only 'Name LIKE "department name"', did get it working.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

If you remove objectType from your query and only using Name, does that 

work? Normally the objectType has already been associated with the custom field so you do not have to add that in the IQL.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events