Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom drop down list populated with AD users

Per Löfgren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2022

We are using request types in JSM for onboarding, offboarding and users change. 
The user picker list for offboarding and user change is only populated with active users.
This is as expected and a good behavior by design.
Problem is that when a user is disabled due to account expire date or he or she is back from leave the list user is not visible in the list. 
Workaround is to create a customer but then that user is not provisioned from AD and not a good solution.

We dont want changes to be made in AD without a request type filled out.
Is there any tool out there that can populate a custom list with users from a AD or AAD. 

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2022

I don't think there's a way to do this on Cloud at the moment, I can't find an app that can do it.  There are a couple which can read attributes from a directory but they don't provide custom picker fields.

That suggests that it should be possible to write an app to do it.

A second option might be to have an external script do a sync.  Create a select-list custom field, and then have a script which reads your directory, looks for new people, and adds them to the list over Jira's REST API (you wouldn't want to delete options obviously)

Per Löfgren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2022

Hi Nic,

I was hoping not to write an app or script.
I figured I would not be the only with this problem and was hoping for a simpler solution and less time consuming solution.

Thanks for your suggestions

Cheers
Per

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2022

@Per Löfgren -

Are you managing your user via your own IDP (AD)?  If so, you should look into Atlassian Access - https://support.atlassian.com/security-and-access-policies/docs/understand-atlassian-access/

Don't know if this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Per Löfgren
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2022

We are already using Atlassian access and the user picker list is populated from the user we have synced there, hence my problem.

Users who are disabled are not showing in the list.

Thanks for your answer

Cheers
Per 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders