Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clone an issue(s) to a child board but need to see ALL linked issues under that project

Trevor Overstreet February 10, 2023

Hello Jira community!

Here is my dilemma and thinking I may need a global rule.

• A task is submitted via service mgmt portal to a Parent board
  • The Parent board admin determines which child board (one or multiple boards) will need to work on the task
  • The admin selects the department from a multi-select dropdown. Once selected the automation rule will clone the task and link to the child project. 
    • All of this works well if I could figure out how to copy previous comments into the new linked task
  • MY ISSUE: On the parent task you can see all of the child board links. When I click on any of the child board links I'm navigated to that task BUT I can only see the link back to the parent board. I need to see any links for all associated child boards on the child task in case one child board needs to reference another child board
    • NOTE: The child task(s) are clone and created in Jira Work Mgmt

Those of you who have worked in Asana know this is quite easy to do by sharing a task amongst multiple projects and able to see comments across all boards. I NEED to replicate this in Jira. THANKS in advance!

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 1.48.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-10 at 1.48.55 PM.png

2 answers

0 votes
Chris Dunne _Raledo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 10, 2023

Hi Trevor

Are you open to using some addons?

We have encountered this type of scenario before and developed the Linked Comments addon.

It will allow you to view the comments on the linked issues, without needing to copy them from your parent into the child issues.

Also, you seem to have a requirement whereby on a child issue you want to see the other child issues of the same parent. You could try using the Show Related Issues addon for this and set the JQL for the panel to be linkedIssue in ${issueLinks} and project = <parentprojectkey>.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Trevor Overstreet March 30, 2023

Hey Chris! Thank you for the response. Can you please send the url for linked comments as it's not working for me or can I search under apps "linked comments"?

Same for show related issues?

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2023

Hi Trevor,

Can you share the rule where you are creating and linking the task? Have you tried to copy the comments from the parent task at the same time? 

Trevor Overstreet February 13, 2023

Please see attached screenshots for the rule.

I have not tried to copy the comments from the parent task. Would this be a separate rule? And what is the configuration to set this up? Thank you!

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 4.43.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-13 at 4.43.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-13 at 4.43.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-13 at 4.43.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-13 at 4.44.01 PM.png

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2023

Okay, I think I am following you, but let me be sure. You have a Issue 123. You change something on it and it creates issue ABC, DEF, and XYZ. Issue 123 is linked to all 3 of them. 

What you want is for all of the alphabets to be linked to each other - ABC is also linked to DEF and XYZ. Is that correct? 

If so, you could probably accomplish that with a the #lookupIssues function. I am thinking it is probably a separate rule based on an issue being linked or created. 

Trevor Overstreet March 9, 2023

Hey John, do you have a link to review #lookupissues function?

And you're correct to "You have a Issue 123. You change something on it and it creates issue ABC, DEF, and XYZ. Issue 123 is linked to all 3 of them. "

"What you want is for all of the alphabets to be linked to each other - ABC is also linked to DEF and XYZ. Is that correct?"

Yes, correct

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events