Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Sub-tasks for Employee Requests (New Hires, Terminations)

Joe Lawry
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 7, 2021

Hey everyone! I'm pretty new to Jira, so forgive me for asking such basic questions. My company has an IT service desk-style project in Jira through which tickets and requests are handled. Two of those requests are New Hires and Terminations that are submitted by our HR department.

In the past, a former teammate of ours modified Employee requests so that unique sub-tasks are generated for both New Hires and Terminations. These are obviously different based on whether it is a hiring or termination, but the sub-tasks that are associated with each request type are always the same.

My question is this: where would I go to add, remove, or modify the type of sub-tasks that are created for these requests? I'm not very familiar with the different types of objects in Jira (workflows, schemas, etc.), so I honestly don't know where to look. Would I need to modify settings on a global (i.e. system-wide) scale, or the IT service desk project itself?

Thank you for your help!

3 answers

1 vote
Stepan Fedortsiv_SaaSJet August 18, 2021

Hi @Joe Lawry 
Check the Automation rules first of all.

Open both of the sub-tasks that have been automatically created. On the right bar, check the Automation tab and check the names of Automations that triggered those Issues.

Then

Go to Project settings -> Automation (if it's Company managed project type) and check the conditions of this Automation rule. Most likely, you will need to check the condition a bit.

There are if/else logic, so it's quite simple.

---

Let me also suggest you the tool we recently released for the purposes you mentioned - Business Process Manager. I'm a Product Manager of this Add-on.

Users can set the Templates for the processes like Employee Onboarding or Off boarding by assigning special forms and checklists to the people who should do some actions (e.g provide workplace, credentials, set goals) in scope of some process. 

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2021

Hi @Joe Lawry  and welcome to the community!

So what I get is that you want to change an already existing automation but aren't specifically sure where to look for them.

First thing you'll have to check if you have any apps installed that could be doing automation.

The creation of these subtasks will most likely be project based but could be trigger at multiple places. 

• As you are on Cloud it could be the Automation under Project settings
  • Could also be a post function on the workflow (if you open the workflow and edit it, you can see post functions on a status transition)

Do you maybe have some more information when exactly they are created? Is it

• at creation
  • after a status transition
0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2021

Hi There,

Yes you can use Jira automation to do this with conditions based on the type of ticket. Here is a link: https://www.atlassian.com/agile/tutorials/how-to-auto-create-subtasks-with-jira-software-automation

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events