Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation to Transition Issues Not Updated by Reporter in Last 4 Working Days

Edgardo Ibarra June 7, 2024

Hi Atlassian Community,

I need help creating an automation rule in Jira that transitions issues which have not been updated by the reporter in the last 4 business days. Here's the scenario:

• We have several issues reported by different users.
  • I want to create an automation that checks if the reporter has not updated their reported issue in the last 4 business days.
  • If the issue hasn't been updated by the reporter in that time frame, the issue should transition to a specific status (e.g., "Resolved").

I am aware of basic JQL but need guidance on setting up this specific condition, especially considering "business days" and "updates by the reporter."

Has anyone done something similar or can suggest the best way to achieve this? Any insights, especially examples of automation rules or JQL queries, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Frederic Wolf
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2024

Hi,

just to give you 2 quick ideas:

You can solve it in 2 ways.

1. Scheduled Job with JQL
  2. SLA plus Scheduled Job (Only JSM)

my preferred option is the 2.

1. Scheduled Job with JQL

Just hit google with „jql updated business day“ First 5 to 10 results should help. Play around with them. 
best answer from my point of view 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Re-JQL-for-issue-in-status-for-last-3-or-more-business-days/qaq-p/2328224/comment-id/574217#M574217

2. SLA plus Scheduled Job (Only JSM)

Create an SLA with a corresponding calander, which represents your business days and hour

SLA should break when not updated for x Days.

i am not in office now, so i cant tell you the exact config. 

then simply create an automation which fires when SLA breaches.

hope this helps

if not do not hesitate to ask again. Mention me.

kind regards

frederic

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2024

Hello @Edgardo Ibarra 

Does it matter what sort of update the reporter made?

Comment?

Status change?

Update the Description, Summary, or any other field?

How do you define "business days"? 

Does "business hours" play a role in this?

Edgardo Ibarra June 10, 2024

Hello @Trudy Claspill , I hope you are well.

Ideally the update I seek to measure is a comment. By business days I mean work days from Monday to Friday, since I do not want to include weekends in this 4-day period.

To give you more context, what I'm looking to do is create an automation that transitions issues to the status "closed"  if the customer hasn't made a comment in the last 4 "business days".

Thank u in advance for your help. 

0 votes
Frederic Wolf
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2024

hey @Edgardo Ibarra ,

if you found a solution help other members with a detailed implementation description, including screenshots etc. 

thank you

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events