Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automating ticket to moved between 2 projects - Service desk and Scrum board

Ilva Levenda Africa January 24, 2023

Good Day,

I am currently trying to link two projects but one is service desk and the other scrum board.

when service desk ticket is reviewed and approved for coding then I want to change status and create an automation whereby the ticket then moves to the project board, is this possible?

I need to see an example of how the automation is done as I cannot find this particular answer with screen shots anywhere.

We have Jira Cloud and I just need confirmation that it can be done, or if I need premium for this specific requirement could you please let me know?

I am not a super user, just administrator, if this needs to change can you let me know as well please?

2 answers

0 votes
Jessica Dagala
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 27, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I have a similar situation to Ilva. Once we have a linked issue, is there an automation in the instance a developer has an update on the software project that it updates the original SD issue? For example, once the developer moves the ticket into In Progress, an automation then triggers a notification back to the user who originally raised the SD issue. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2023

Yes, there are automation actions you can trigger on issue update that can make changes to linked issues.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2023

No.  Automation can not move issues.

You should not be doing this.  Moving issues between projects should never be part of a standard process.  Moving is for housekeeping, migration and the (hopefully rare) genuine error of "raised in the wrong place".

Moving an issue from a Service Desk project to a Software (or Work Management) project will also destroy the customers request, and the line of communication with them.  

There are two things you can do here though.

• When a request leads to a development story, your agents should use "create linked issue" to create the story in the development project.  The original request and service desk issue will remain intact, and informed by the linked development issue, which will take its own process.
  • Modify your Software board so that it selects the service desk issues as well as the development project issues.  Your developers won't be able to do much with them (unless they're agents as well), but you'll be able to see them
Ilva Levenda Africa January 24, 2023

Thank you for your response, the reason for this is for the project manager to sift out requests and once request is accepted for development then get pushed to a project.

So there is an option I found that would then be the only way, copy original service desk ticket and move to development board, the project manager will then be the one to check development board and update on service desk tickets.

(This is purely for internal requests) 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2023

That is one way to do it, yes.  There is a better way.  Agents (the folks running the Service Desk) have a link in the issue view for "create linked issue".

This pops up an issue create type screen, where the agent can select the project to create in and so on.  This creates an issue in the target project, with a defaulted link to the service desk issue, and enables a couple of bits of automation (so that the Agent knows when developers have done things, and developers can easily see the content of the SD issue, including communications with the customer). 

To use that, click "link issue" at the top of the service desk issue.  It will open the issue links panel, which has the "create linked issue" link at the bottom.

I've seen people use this differently - some will copy and paste the description and minimal other data into the new issue, and some will replicate everything they can.  Most though say "I think this SD issue is something your team needs to look into" and leave it up to the developers to look at the request and copy any info they need into their issue(s)

Ilva Levenda Africa January 26, 2023

Thanks so much for this! it's much simpler, just did it and took me 5seconds.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events