Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically add an Assets attribute to a Service Desk (custom) context field?

Greg April 10, 2023

Question:
I'm wondering if there is a way to add an attribute from the Assets configuration directly into a custom context field for an issue.

Summary:
I understand the process of adding Custom Fields based on Assets. I currently have one set up so users can select an affected asset associated to them when opening a request. However, I'm wondering if there is a way to automatically set a custom field's data without the need for the user to select it.

Details:
I have an Assets attribute that identifies a user's building location. I'm wondering if there is a way to pull that attribute data and add it directly to a request's details based on the associated user, without the need for them to select (or even see) the field in the request from. This would help us to know immediately where the user is physically located on our company campus based on that attribute already entered within Assets.

2 answers

1 vote
Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2023

Hi @Greg 

Yes you can do this, however you cannot do it from an attribute on an asset. The site actually needs to be its own asset for it to show as just the Site. The reason for this is that rather than just showing Brisbane, it will show as "Asset Name" and then in small text Brisbane. Like this:

John Doe

Brisbane

We've set it up like this. We have an Object Schema called Employees and in the Schema an Object Type called Site (or location if you will).

We then have an asset for each site name (i.e. Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne). The asset has an attribute of User on it. The User/Employee/Reporter/Customer is then added to the Site and looks like this:

ice_screenshot_20230309-155616.png

You can then configure your automation to look at the Reporter of the ticket, and select the Site of which they are a user.

ice_screenshot_20230309-160056.png

This is the end result on your ticket field:ice_screenshot_20230309-160405.png

I have a full example of how this is configured including the Custom Field configuration on another post I've answered here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/how-do-i-update-an-Assets-objects-custom-field/qaq-p/2293384 

Suzi

Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2023

Another example of how to configure as well:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Asset-Custom-Field-Reporting-Manager/qaq-p/2282283 

I would also note, it's important to make a copy of your automation and set trigger to when the Reporter field is updated as this may also require the site information to be updated.

You should have one automation for when the ticket is created and another for if the reporter is updated.

0 votes
Jordan Wilkinson October 19, 2023

Here is the published method using automation to populate a generic custom field with an attribute from a selected Asset:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/assets-auto-populate-assets-attributes-into-jira-assets-custom-field-1085208173.html 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events