how do i update an Assets objects custom field

Alvin March 8, 2023

I created a custom field that links to Jira Assets and then added that field to my Issue. I can't figure out how to update that field using Automation with a specific record in Jira Assets. It is not like other fields I can edit where it is free from or a drop down of values. Anyone have examples or a link on how to edit a Jira Assets field in an Issue (using an Automation job to edit the issue).

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2023

Hi @Alvin 

Yes you can get this to work, please be aware though that if you have more than 1 asset assigned to a user, the automation will only grab the first one returned in the list. The automation works great if you plan on returning a single asset. However, if you wish to choose from a list of assets (laptop, monitor) and then monitor is asset being referred to in the ticket. You do need to click the drop down and manually select it.

As an example, I have a Site objectType setup.

The site name is the asset object and has an additional attribute for the user to link.

ice_screenshot_20230309-155616.png

On the ticket there is a custom field for Site (I also have these setup for manager and Assets as well). I have configured the custom field, to Display the Name attribute which you can see above in this example is Brisbane.

ice_screenshot_20230309-160213.png

In my automation, the action is to edit issue field.

Select the custom field you require, in this example Site. 

The AQL I use is: Attribute = {{issue.reporter}} so in my example User = {{issue.reporter}}

ice_screenshot_20230309-160056.png

If John.Doe@gmail.com has submitted the ticket, he will be the reporter. John.Doe is user linked to Brisbane asset object. So the custom field returns "Brisbane" and then the automation automatically updates this in the custom field on the ticket.

ice_screenshot_20230309-160405.png

Kind regards,

Suzi

Alvin March 9, 2023

Thank you so much Suzi! This did the trick. I was 90% there already, it was all the screen shots you provided that helped me realize what i was missing.

Like # people like this
Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2023

You're very welcome Alvin

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events