Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Assignment of Issues not Balancing when Using Groups

Wendy Barrington March 8, 2023

Good morning,

We're attempting to use Groups to Load Balance our issue assignments with Automation for Jira.  It is assigning all issues to one of the members of the group and none to the others.  All users have an equal number of unresolved issues.

Other than using manual names in each rule, is there a way to make this work properly?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2023

@Wendy Barrington -

Hi Wendy:

Please take a look at the following page - https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-actions/  for "Assign issue" action.  In there, the option does give you the ability to conduct your balancing operation -

• Balanced Workload: Ensures that each user in the list has the same number of issues assigned.

• Random: Assigns randomly from the list of users.

• Round-Robin: Assigns issues based on the sequence in the list of specified users.

We have use it "Balanced Workload" and it works will for us.  If you can provide more details on your automation rule, we can further assist.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

3 votes

I found a solution - we didn't realize that we needed the restriction on the JQL to ensure that it balanced.  

There's a handy video that goes into detail with the requirements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEh3MsoUxho 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2023

@Wendy Barrington -

Excellent.  Thanks for your screenshot and update.  If our suggestions also helped you, please click on Accept answer on our suggestions when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

3 votes

Rule Problem.png

0 votes

I just uploaded a screen shot after my question.

0 votes
Jan Šimek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2023

Well from my past experience if the automation is set correctly it should assign issues accordingly to all members, can you share your automation as it seems there should be issue if it is assigning only to one person?

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events