Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a Custom Field on a Screen using for issue.reporter.emailAddress

AJohnston March 17, 2022

I would like to see the email address of the reporter without having to go into User Management. (Not being able to see user details on my Issue screens, or at least link to the user's page, is a point of frustration.)

I've been looking at various articles and questions, but I haven't found a definitive way to do this. (Could this be because of the GDPR changes? Am I a day too late?)

I've created a custom field following this guide (Skipped step 1, since I want to access a smart field/data that already exists): https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/How-to-show-additional-information-about-users-on-tickets-by/ba-p/1901647

I'm not sure User Property Field is the correct field type to use. I'm also unsure of how to format the property. I've tried: Reporter:emailAddress, and issue.reporter.emailAddress. I also tried using automation rules to fill it in, but that didn't work.

(I'm new to Jira, but have come from other ITSM systems, so I'm both lost and not lost!)

Note: I only want this in one project. The field isn't set to be global.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Piyush A (STR)
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022

Hi,

You may opt additional field and using automation display the email address using the below rule

Screenshot 2022-03-18 111318.png

Piyush A (STR)
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022
AJohnston March 18, 2022

When I tried to do that, the field I wanted to assign wasn't available. It could be because I am using the wrong field type.

Custom Field

The default values I've tried are "Reporter:emailAddress" and "issue.reporter.emailAddress". (I've tried with and without curly brackets, and changing up the capitalization on Reporter and Email, jic it's case sensitive.)

image.png

Question: Is it okay to have a default value assigned to a field that is modified via automation in a When Issue Created ruleset?

Automation

This is what I tried under More Options:

{
"fields": {
"Reporter Email": {{issue.reporter.emailAddress}}
}
}

image.png

Piyush A (STR)
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2022

Since you just want to display the email address, so I made it to a text field Not to an user property field. I’ve not yet used user property yet so you may create another field as text and make it read only  and then use automation to write the email address to it

AJohnston March 18, 2022

Changing to a read-only text field did make it show in the automation field selection dropdown, so thank you! I do want to know if I had the formatting correct when I was trying to do it the advanced way.

For posterity!

1. Create a Text Field. (You won't be able to add a default value.)

image.png

2. Create TWO automation rules. One for each When: Issue Created and When: Value Changes.

When Value Changed config:

image.png

Edit issue fields for both:

{{issue.reporter.emailAddress}}

image.png

If you change the field, you will have to refresh your page (or go to another ticket, then come back) before you see the change.

Like Piyush A (STR) likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events