Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preventing the attachment of duplicate images from emails to the issue screen in JSM

Hello Community,

My name is Manpreet, and I’m a Product Manager for JSM Cloud.

Today, I am thrilled to announce an enhanced experience in how Jira Service Management handles images received via email.

We’ve observed that many a time repeated emails contain assets such as the company logo, social media icons of the company in the sender's signature. These images in ongoing communication between help seekers and agents via email causes clutter on ‘Attachments’ section, making it difficult for assignee to find relevant files for issue resolution. This is how the Attachments section looks like after few conversations on the ticket:

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 2.14.24 PM.png

What's been Improved?

The overwhelming amount of redundant attachments motivated us to create a filtering systems to prevent repeated images get attached in issue screen and maintain a clean and organized workspace within JSM.

With the improvement, any image received via email and is a duplicate in an issue will not populate in 'Attachments' section again. To avoid any data loss, the image will remain a part of the comments. If i take the above example again, the image will be attached only once as shown below:

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 2.15.46 PM.png

Another scenario where this enhancement proves beneficial is when JSM employs connections with third-party software or marketplace applications. We've noticed that duplicated images are also transferred to these integrated systems (such as Microsoft Teams), which slows down their operation and causes significant frustration. With the proposed solution, the influx of duplicated images to the integrated systems will be prevented, thus increasing their efficiency.

Release Update

We have initiated the deployment of this functionality, and it is expected to be accessible for all JSM Cloud users by October 12th, 2023.

11 comments

Cosmo Denger October 3, 2023

YES!!  Thank you and sooner than expected!

Like G likes this
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2023

How do you know if an image is a duplicate? I assume it is purely based on the filename - can you confirm?

Like Jonathan Bohlmann likes this
Manpreet Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2023

Hi @C_ Derek Fields, we are not using filename to check for duplicates but instead hash value to determine if an image is identical. 

Like # people like this
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2023

Excellent - thanks.

Constantin Lotz October 3, 2023

Very nice, if we now can also Blacklist some images via md5 or sth. to General prevent Signatur images in isses would be great.

Like # people like this
Debbie Radulescu October 3, 2023

Finally :)

ismail içka October 5, 2023

I'm not crying about this announcement. I just got dust in my eyes. <3

Kenneth Muñoz October 15, 2023

Hi

Is this improvement already released in production and Jira Service Management?
How can I access the new improvement?

Manpreet Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2023

Hi Kenneth,

Happy to announce that we have released this improvement to everyone and is available to all by default. One pre-requisite to have this improvement is that HTML email parsing must be enabled (<tenant>/jira/settings/products/jira-service-management-email-requests).

If you are not able to view the improvements, reach out to me at msingh10@atlassian.com and we will look into the same.

Cheers!

mb January 24, 2024

Hi! Is there any plans to implement this to all mail handlers instead of only Jira Service Management? Thanks!

Also, an MD5 hash blacklist for known logos and a minimum file size threshold would be nice.

Best Regards

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events