Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New form builder is rolling out to Jira Service Management Cloud customers

93 comments

Siobhan Flynn July 14, 2022

Hi @Peter Preston

@Simon Herd 

I've found the regular documentation and looked through this thread, but could one of you please just explain in simple terms the pros/cons of using forms over just having the same fields available in your service request? I just can't seem to wrap my head around the difference.

Much appreciated

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

@Siobhan Flynn ,

I think the main reasons for using Forms over just fields on a Request Type are:

• actual ability to create a layout instead of just putting the fields underneath eachother
  • Ability to make your forms dynamic (question/answer) which hides or shows certain parts/makes them mandatory/optional

Especially that 2nd point and that you can do that without needing to script seems like the main pro

A con might be that it's still under development. We're still missing some things like an Attachment field but they are working on that

Like # people like this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2022

Hi @Siobhan Flynn and thanks for jumping in @Dirk Ronsmans 

Dirk has it with those two points. A big benefit of using the forms features over just fields is the ability to get very clear on the data you need to capture. Dirk mentions dynamic sections - this makes it easier for you (building the form) and customers (answering the form) to get all the right data up front.

Another big benefit is that form fields don't require custom fields. This cuts back on time needed to manage your instance.

Would a demo help @Siobhan Flynn ? Happy to jump on a call to walk through it. 

Like Siobhan Flynn likes this
Siobhan Flynn August 4, 2022

Thanks so much for the explanation @Dirk Ronsmans @Peter Preston 

I'd like to clarify one last thing - will the Business Project forms eventually have this full functionality? Right now they seem to only be able to use regular fields rather than custom ones.

Thanks again to you both for your answers!

Like Peter Preston likes this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2022

@Siobhan Flynn Business projects will get the full form functionality. I don't have a timeline on when that will happen, but we intend to make forms available across all the Jiras... eventually.

Mark Thomas August 8, 2022

@Peter Preston Does "all the Jiras" include Data Center? Because you can fix that now, the same way you did when you acquired Mindville: make it a free download from the Software Center. Otherwise, it's just a tax on on-premise users.

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2022

Hi @Mark Thomas -- I hear you. 

The product teams are considering Cloud and Data Center. I'm not able to say what that will look like. 

Sandro Mordasini September 13, 2022

How can I access the new  new form builder. In my JIRA instance i still see the old one. I wanted to create conditional sections that are processed by the system. This is not possible with my current version. What has to be done to use those new possibilities?

STILL WAITING FOR HELP!

How can I see, that i already have the new form builder. As far as I see, we still have the old one and are using JIRA cloud!

PLEASE HELP

Cheri Hansen October 5, 2022

@Peter Preston hi! how can we verify we have migrated from proforma to Forms for Jira.  we are trying to renew our atlassian licenses and being told we cannot renew until the Proforma app is removed from our instance.  We have several departments that rely heavily on their proforma forms, so we want to be cautious.  Thank you. 

As an update, we are being told (by another person at Atlassian) we have to migrate.  We are due for renewal in the next week and cannot get past this step.  @Stephen Chamberlain  @Doug Henderson 

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2022

@Sandro Mordasini are you still unable to see the new form builder in Cloud? 

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2022

@Cheri Hansen all Cloud instances that had ProForma installed were migrated several months ago. 

A quick way to know if you're already using the new form builder is to check the UI. If it looks like this, you're on the native form builder:

good-form.atlassian.net_jira_servicedesk_projects_ITSM_settings_forms_form_19_edit.png

If your form builder UI is different (for example, you see a JSON menu item next to `Settings`) you're in the ProForma form builder. If this is the case, please contact support asap and tell them you need to be migrated to the new form builder. No forms or data are lost in this migration.

I'm hopeful your migration already happened. In that case, you should be able to delete the ProForma app without losing any forms or data. 

First let's confirm which UI you see.

Sandro Mordasini October 12, 2022

Hello, I see the forms builder like your printscreen. The only thing that I don't see ist the purple symbol on the bottom left. Does this mean that I already have the new one? 

Cheri Hansen October 12, 2022

@Peter Preston This is what we are seeing.  if i am reading this correctly, we have not been migrated since we do not have the JSON menu item.  Who do we need to contact to get this corrected?  This is becoming quite urgent.

proforma issue.png

Like Peter Preston likes this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2022

@Cheri Looks like you're using the native version of the form builder. 

I suggest contacting support to confirm that your instance has been migrated. If you share your instance ID, the support crew should be able to tell you. And then they can guide you through deleting the ProForma marketplace app.

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2022

@Sandro Mordasini The purple icon in the bottom left of my screenshot is Loom (the Chrome extension) - if everything else looks the same, you're on the new form builder 👍

Samuel Stephens January 8, 2023

@Peter Preston Is there any update on whether this will be implemented in Jira Data Centre?

Working in an on-prem environment and this would be a massive benefit to have an Atlassian supported update for LTS rather than a plugin.

Jason Jonas February 1, 2023

@Peter Preston  - Hi Peter. We organization currently is using ProForma in our Jira Data Center. We are planning on migrating to the Atlassian Jira cloud sometime this year. I see that ProForma has been integrated with Jira Service Management. Do you know when/if it will be made available in the Jira Cloud without Jira Service Management? ETA?

Thank you in advance for this info :).

Like bertrand.drouhard likes this
Samuel Stephens February 1, 2023

Hey @Peter Preston

Are you able to provide any updates on when forms will be implemented in the Data Centre LTS version?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events