Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manage quote process in Jira Service Management and Confluence

I will outline two different solutions for this. The first one involves using default Jira features, while the second utilizes an add-on.

1 Proposal Process without Add-ons

I assume that our customers reach out to us via phone, email, or customer portal communication. If a customer does not initiate the process through the customer portal, we need to start it on their behalf.

To achieve this, I initially created a project named "Sales Support" as a Service Management project type with simplified screens.

Here, I initiate the process on behalf of the customer, registering them in the system.

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 23.28.15.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 23.28.15.png

Next, to send the desired proposal to the customer, we need to create a proposal format for our company on Confluence within the "Sales Support" space that we previously created.

Now, let's explore a few different ways to create proposals in Confluence from a Jira issue.

1.1 First method:

Create a template on the Confluence Sales Support space and use the default "Create page in Confluence" action in Automation for Jira.

Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 23.15.25.png

I defined the template content as follows.

Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 23.17.01.png

Now, let's define an automation on the "Sales Support" Jira project as shown below:

Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 23.21.02.png

Afterwards, triggering this automation with your desired trigger is sufficient.

Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 23.50.20.png

Once the automation runs, your proposal will be automatically generated in the specified template.

Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 23.51.59.png

If you wish to share the proposal with your customer as a link, you can use the public link feature. This allows you to share the proposal with anyone without a license. Additionally, you can make changes to the page, and the customer can access the updated data through the same link.

For more advanced external sharing, I recommend using the "External Share for Confluence" add-on. With this add-on, you can add features such as password protection, expiration date, and audit logs to the public link.

1.2 Second method:

This method involves a more advanced design, allowing dynamic determination of many fields in the proposal content from the Jira issue.

Firstly, the space template page created in the first method needs to be created as content as shown below:

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 00.10.50.png

Next, using the Web Request feature in Automation for Jira, define an automation rule as shown below:

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 00.12.59.png

Of course, it is important to customize the content of this automation according to your values. Especially, you can easily obtain the "value" part in Custom data using Postman.

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 00.16.02.png

As an advanced example of dynamic behavior, by establishing a direct connection between the Confluence page generated from the Jira issue, we eliminate the need for an extra step. We can provide a dynamic issue key instead of "SS-3" in the "value" field.

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 00.18.17.png

After running the rule, the page will be created as shown below. I would like to draw your attention to the dynamic data coming from the Jira issue within the page. This feature was not present in the first method; we could only make the page title dynamic.

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 00.22.01.png

Furthermore, on the Jira issue, you can see that the Confluence link is automatically generated with the advanced design we implemented using {{issue.key}} in the web request.

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 00.23.44.png

Finally, you can share the content of the proposal with your customer using a public link or obtain proposal approval through Jira issue workflow design if desired.

2 Proposal Process Using Add-ons

I recommend a useful Jira add-on called "Clerk Quotes — Quote Management for Jira"

If you need any help, you can reach out to me. Thanks for your time.

2 comments

Patrick Doyle January 29, 2024

The 1.1 method will not work as smart values can only be used in the page title.  The example screenshot even demonstrates this as the {{issue.Customer Name}} tag is still visible.  https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-actions/#Create-Confluence-page

Muhammet Ayal
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 1, 2024

Hi @Patrick Doyle , 

If you want to use smart value on Page Title it should not be duplicated page title, you can add date parameter. Confluence does not accept duplicated page

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events