Subtasks in Next-Gen project?

Viewing page 2 of 3

57 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Mohammed AbuJubara January 9, 2019

Dears,

is there away ti switch back to my old jira from next Gen???

Like Anthony Carbutt likes this
1 vote
Max January 19, 2020

Hi Atlassian team,

The sub task and next-gen project are brilliant features which we've been using everyday for our project management. However, It'd be the best if you can implement Create New Sub-task Type feature for next-gen project. Currently, our backlog is messy and expanded unnecessarily due to BUG created as a Issue type instead of sub-task type. It's really inconvenient for us to manage project. I hope we could have the feature soon.

Thanks, 
Max

1 vote
Miguel Fenoglio October 3, 2019

When will subtasks show in the Board?? Just like they used to do on "prev-gen". I have my team wiggling their thumbs until the parent ticket is assigned to them because they simply can't see what's on their plate for the current sprint... 

1 vote
Jeremy Crawford May 21, 2019

I'm trying to understand how Jira can come out with next-gen without sub-tasks!??  

1 vote
Vinícius Cassol May 16, 2019

Next-Gen projects are pretty easier and friendly to use, but we really need subtasks!!!

1 vote
Jaepil Kim May 8, 2019

+1  for subtask

1 vote
Vinícius Cassol May 7, 2019

Any update?

1 vote
Surajit Kundu May 3, 2019

+1 for Subtask

1 vote
Julien Femia
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2019

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give a little update about how the subtasks rollout is going.

We have released the feature to all customers that have reached out to Eoin or myself directly this week. We are monitoring this subset of customers, and the good news is that everything seems to be going well. We will regroup on Monday (May 6th) and probably open up the feature to more people.

As I said previously, send me an email (jfemia[at]atlassian.com) with your hostname (xx.atlassian.net) in the body and "Next-gen subtasks" in the title if you really want to be part of the early cohorts using subtasks :)

Once again, thanks a lot for your patience!

Dwight Pfundstein May 7, 2019

Just sent !

1 vote
Thomas Holenstein May 2, 2019

Thank you Atlassion for the sub task feature.

Is there a solution for sub sub tasks?

1 vote
Charles April 17, 2019

We use sub-tasks to track time as our team measures both the sprint time scope parameters.
Therefore I see little that is useful in next-gen without subtasks.

That said, I'm aware that many teams use Jira in an unstructured free and frankly terribly ineffective way. So I can see how most would get by without sub-tasks as it would not change the mess they are in.

However, sub-tasks,  data/performance measurement, and display of these are core differentiation for Jira. So without sub tasks I might as well switch to Asana...

I hope that 'next-gen' will not become 'current' until it is on par with the existing Jira.

1 vote
Craig March 31, 2019

I gave up waiting and converted my next-gen project to classic. It was a PITA (has to be done manually) but at least now I have something usable.

Thomas Holenstein March 31, 2019

yes. Me too, today. Unbelievable, that I have invested a lot of time to build up in this project. Jira, please wake up!!!

josh April 17, 2019

Yeah I just converted my one "next-gen" project back. Only thing next-gen gave me that I liked was the Roadmap. Otherwise its feature set was too anemic to keep using.

1 vote
Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 22, 2019

If someone does not need the full set of rich attributes that come with Jira sub-tasks like Description, Comments, Labels, etc. then the list of lightweight ToDo items (with checkboxes) attached to the issue might be a decent workaround. 

Issue Checklist Pro, the paid app, or its free sibling Issue Checklist Free, provided by my team and presented in the screenshot below adds the checklist panel to the issue page and works in the next-gen projects.

It gives a simple user mention functionality (no notifications yet), due dates, completion progress bar, automation support, default checklist concept, templates and more. 

The full set of features it provides is described in the documentation.

image-3.png

I hope it helps. However, I wait for next-get subtasks and other improvements impatiently too :)

Cheers,
Jack

Craig Patchett February 14, 2019

It should be noted that this is not a free solution.

Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 17, 2019

Thank @Craig Patchett. I have updated the answer to reflect that. 

Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
March 27, 2019
0 votes
Zak May 12, 2020

Do you have a release date for subtasks ?

I do not see it in your roadmap. 

0 votes
Karine Jannetta October 3, 2019

They already do.. you have to select "GROUP BY: Subtask" on the "GROUP BY" dropdown at the top right corner of your Board.. 

Annotation 2019-10-03 111037.png

Miguel Fenoglio October 3, 2019

Thanks, but destroying my board with that subtasks grouping is not an option for me. I don't want my board grouped by subtasks, I just want subtasks to show (as they did).

Karine Jannetta October 3, 2019

gotcha.. it didn't seem to destroy our board when we used it (for a small test project). sorry it's not working for your existing project. TBH we haven't transferred any complex projects to Next-Gen at this time for the current lack of feature parity... so I totally get it!!

SR May 6, 2020

does anyone know if this has been fixed now in Next Gen?  Can you see subtasks on the board?

Miguel Fenoglio May 7, 2020

You can only see subtasks on the board if you group by subtask. You cannot see them otherwise (which also means you cannot group by anything else if you want to see subtasks).

Chris May 7, 2020

This is a good point. I'm not sure what the solution is though. I don't think you want tasks and subtasks in the same list without being able to easily distinguish them. Perhaps it should always show the view you get when you "group by subtasks" and the main tasks are then grouped by whatever you choose.

Miguel Fenoglio May 7, 2020

IMHO, it'd be as simple as adding a toggle to show/hide the subtasks in the same way they were shown in "old-gen". I understand some may find it very cumbersome if subtasks were always shown, that's why a toggle would be good. Having swimlanes for the main tasks has 3 problems:

1- It doesn't allow having swimlanes for something else, while being able to see subtasks.

2- Takes up much more space on the board than the "old-gen" subtasks display. It fragments the board.

3- Interaction with the parent task is more limited (ie. you are not able to see any additional details at first glance, you can't drag it to a different state, etc.)

It's just a matter of making available what was already there in "old-gen" with the enhancement of a toggle. My 2 cents.

Like # people like this
Jacoby Hickerson August 5, 2020

Agreed, this is the only thing missing before I would have my team use nextgen.  The ability to have a system default one way or the other and letting the user choose would be best.

0 votes
Guillaume Simon May 2, 2019

In the JIRA PLATFORM section of  https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog/2019/04/atlassian-cloud-changes-apr-22-to-apr-29-2019 I see :

Create and customize subtasks in your next-gen project

Need to get a bit more granular with how you track your work? Add a subtask issue type to your next-gen project and track the small tasks that help you break up and complete bigger pieces of work. Go to Project settings > Issue types and click + Add issue type to try it out.

Is it live ? I can not do this in my next-gen projects :-/

Lukáš Brchl May 2, 2019

Read the comments above yours

Like Guillaume Simon likes this
Guillaume Simon May 2, 2019

Thanks @Lukáš Brchl 

Like Lukáš Brchl likes this
0 votes
John Testa April 30, 2019

+1

Our team is also waiting for this.

0 votes
Lukáš Brchl April 29, 2019

Sub-tasks for next-gen are now working. I suggest you reading this post https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Subtasks-in-Next-Gen-project/qaq-p/921446#M340356

simon April 30, 2019

why have you posted that sub tasks for next-gen jira are working? your link contains complaints about it not existing, i can't see a solution 

CLICK BAIT ALERT! :)

Lukáš Brchl April 30, 2019

Have you tried the link? It refers to the statement of Atlassian employee. 

Capture.PNG

Ian M April 30, 2019

Hi, I had a hunt around and found the subtasks as follows:

If you are on your project page and go to "Project Settings" and then in the left hand column select "issue types", then in the same column you can "add issue type" at which point you select to "add Subtask". THEN, if you go to a regular issue in your project you will see a new icon that looks like a small tree hierarchy - when you hover the mouse over the explanation the text "add a child issue" appears - that is the sub task feature for next-gen jira.

Doris Han April 30, 2019

Hi, when i 'add issue type' I didn't see 'add subtask' yet. Do I need to 'create issue type'? 

Ian M April 30, 2019

OK, if you do not see 'add subtask' if may mean I only see it because I asked to join the beta programme for seeing this feature and it is not yet released to all. My apologies. However, you can follow these instructions to have subtasks enabled earlier for your good self: 

"For those of you that would like to be part of the first cohort of instances that we enable subtasks on; can you send an email to jfemia@atlassian.com with your hostname (e.g. xx.atlassian.net) in the body and with "Next-gen Subtasks" as the subject? I will subsequently reply to your email at the point we turn on the feature flag for your instance."

Like Doris Han likes this
Doris Han April 30, 2019

Thank you Ian. I shall try this first! 

Appreciate! 

0 votes
Doris Han April 23, 2019

Please add subtask !!!!

0 votes
Thomas Holenstein March 30, 2019

Hey whats up with Jira new generation project sub tasks? I thought it takes only few weeks. If no, why you publish such kind of unfinished feature? Please update us about the subtasks. When is it finished?

0 votes
Deleted user March 29, 2019

Is there an updated ETA for sub-tasks on a next gen board? we're having difficulties without them.

0 votes
Dimitar Rupov March 26, 2019

Subtasks are a stopper for us to switch to NextGen also.

Would be really nice to get some kind of estimate.

Thanks

Furqan Iqbal March 26, 2019

I gave up on Jira and moved to Clubhouse.io - created by developers fed up with the complexity of Jira 

0 votes
Packen Development March 25, 2019

I still can beleive they don't have subtasks in next gen projects. Even though its first in the list they have not implement it yet!!!!

0 votes
ashok vallabhbhai sudani March 24, 2019

I think before introducing such breaking change there should have been an excercise conducted by Atlassian to take opinion of customers either though poll/online forms.

You are encouraging customers to move to next gen project which you are marketing to be something brilliant but then again adding features which are removed without end user consent.

0 votes
Michael Yokota March 20, 2019

++1

Suggest an answer