Manage list of values in custom fields after creation

Jan Verstuyft October 24, 2019

Hi,

they asked me to provide a field on a Jira issue with following functionality:

1. being able to attach a business project to an issue

2. only 1 business project can be selected

3. not possible to add project on the fly by the issue creator

4. the list of projects is dynamic in the fact that once a year we should be able to change the list of possible values

5. (optional) an existing value can be changed.  This is optional because this will not happen a lot and we have work arounds with bulk change for this

After capturing this request, I was thinking about a custom field with the select list (single choice) option.  But trying this, I do not find the possibility to meet the 4th requirement in my list.  I did not found any place where you can adjust the possible values of an existing custom field.

Do I miss something, or is this just not possible.

PS: it is for an on premise solution with version 8.2.1

Thanks in advance

Jan Verstuyft

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2019

Hello Jan,

Thank you for reaching out.

Actually,  you can change the options added to your Select list custom field by following the steps below:

1 - Navigate to JIRA Settings > Issues > Custom Fields > Find the select list and click on Configure:

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 16.33.52.png

2 - Click on Edit options:

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 16.34.37.png

Let me know if this information helps.

Jan Verstuyft October 31, 2019

Thanks a lot.

This was what I needed.  And even better then I thought.  You can update a value.

KR

Jan

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2019

You are welcome, Jan.

Have a nice day!

Suggest an answer