How can you link source to an issue after a commit has happened (in GIT)?

Hector Palacios May 10, 2012

Is there any way to link a GIT commit to an issue after the commit is already pushed to the remote without having added the issue ID to the commit message?

Notice that a commit that has been pushed to the remote cannot be ammended/editted. I was hoping that adding a comment with the SHA1 of the commit would establish the link between the issue and the commit. Or even if there is a more complex way of doing it. But this is a real need.

A similar question has been posted before (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/5795), but referred to source code in SVN.

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2012

Assuming you are usin the JIRA Fisheye Plugin, the only way to link a commit to a JIRA issue is via the JIRA issue key in the commit message. Unless you are able to amend the message (which seems like you can't/won't), then you are stuck.

Hector Palacios May 14, 2012

Yes, I'm using Fisheye. Has Atlassian considered the possibility of implementing a manual linking of issues and source code in GIT? I think this would be a very good feature.

Thanks

Like juan_montoya likes this
Gary Taylor July 25, 2012

I'd vote for such a feature too.

Like Amandeep Singh likes this
Stanley Goldman July 2, 2013

The lack of this feature means I also cannot correct incorrectly linked changesets.

Can we be linked to a feature request page where I can vote for this?

Like Alexander Gordt likes this
2 votes
Eli Nunna May 8, 2014

Inability to arbitrarily link issues to source code severly limits the usefulness of fisheye integration in jira.

1 vote
William Roush December 22, 2014

Ouch, that's rough. Makes fixing issues impossible and all we need is a simple UI element to do this!

1 vote
Stanley Goldman July 2, 2013

The lack of this feature means I also cannot correct incorrectly linked changesets.

Can we be linked to a feature request page where I can vote for this?

0 votes
Susan Blyde November 11, 2020

Actually, you can put the SHA into the comment field in the Jira... The person has to know to look into the comment though, but if they do they can jump right to the commit

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2015

Instead of fixing this problem, you may want to prevent this using the Commit Policy Plugin:

Edit Commit Policy.png

You can enforce a strict condition to include issue keys matching a JQL query's result. It does work with Git (plus Mercurial and Subversion).

0 votes
Brady Vidovic March 18, 2015

Same problem here!

Suggest an answer