"New Issue View" Problem: How to bulk move fields from "Primary" to "Secondary" in "Issue Layout"

Charles Jamison April 17, 2019

Lol. I am amused at how such a large company can take a massive UI rollout and make such a debacle of it even after having over a year to get feedback (see many of the comments here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Configure-the-new-Jira-issue-view/qaq-p/681056#U1061344 and elsewhere) and STILL bungle it. Pretty much every complaint in this thread from over a year ago is STILL valid.

One other beam of joy in my day - besides having all our users be forced to use the "new issue view" suddenly today with no warning of the consequences so well laid out at that above link and other places by other users ages ago - is the explosion of fields that many people at that link and elsewhere have mentioned. Tabs are gone. Empty fields are everywhere. And, it appears, that the only way to get empty fields to hide (the old default behavior) is to go to EACH project INDIVIDUALLY, and drill down into "Issue Layout" and then drag and drop EACH field from "Primary" to "Secondary" ONE AT A TIME. You can't even shift click them. My JIRA cloud instance has 100s of custom fields. Thanks Atlassian!

IF ANYONE KNOWS A WORK AROUND FOR THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Kerrrazzzy.

P.S. Dear Atlassian, in addition to tabs being gone for Activity and history etc - the tabs in the edit view are also gone. I guess Atlassian just hates tabs because they are hard to use with our stubby fingers on our mobile phones. Who wants to use JIRA on a mobile phone? NOOOOOOT MEEEEEE. Not anyone I work with. It is just dumb. Okay whatever, sad rant into the void over. Thanks for listening.

To all you disgruntled JIRA users forced to switch to this horrendous new issue view (that cannot be disabled globally now), here is the message I had to send to ALL the users of JIRA where I work. Feel free to copy and re-use it. The fact that I had to write such an email is a sad commentary about Atlassian's disconnection from the reality of its cloud users:

=====================================================

Hello,

You may have noticed that JIRA lecture and course tickets (aka "issues") are suddenly totally "improved". And by "improved", I mean they are much more annoyingly user-UN-friendly. It shows empty fields that no one needs to see that were formerly hidden. Downloading files is now an annoying multi-step process. Advancing the workflow is done in one location (rather than show context relevant buttons). Tabs and other functionality are missing. Etc. Nothing was gained functionally, but they sure rearranged the deck chairs. If the transitions from Hipchat to Teams was frustrating for you, this new view will probably induce a mildly painful sensation of deja vu.

The good news is that, for now, you can turn it off. Unfortunately, it appears to be something that needs to be turned off at the individual level and not the administrative level. So that means you need to do it - I will look further into shutting it off globally but in the meantime, at least you can get rid of it, and get back to the more familiar interface.

HOW TO TURN OFF THE NEW JIRA ISSUE VIEW:

To turn the new issue view on or off in Jira Software and Jira Core for now, head to "Your profile and settings" > Personal settings and toggle the switch for the New Jira issue view.

If you don't see the Personal settings option when you click your avatar, the switch to turn the new issue view on or off will appear under Profile.

The "Your Profile and Settings" icon is the one in the extreme lower left of your JIRA screen. Once you go to "Personal Settings" there is a section called "JIRA Labs" and a switch to turn off the new JIRA view.

0 answers

Suggest an answer