This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Planning your sprint

Ask your question here...

6 answers

1 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2016
  1. Click the Agile link's down-arrow in the top navigation bar, then select your preferred board from the resulting dropdown menu.
  2. Click Backlog.
  3. Hover over the sprint name or date field, click and type the new name or date, then press Enter.
    Note, the Start Date and End Date are not specified until you start the sprint.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/working-with-sprints/editing-or-reordering-a-sprint

Larry Allen October 15, 2017

I am also seeking a solution for this. Having the end date of a sprint determined only by when the sprint was closed makes it impossible to preserve consistency in the reports for the reality of sprint periods if for any of many reasons the sprint is not closed on the actual date it ends.

However, the solution presented here does not work (for me at least). Clicking the sprint end date does nothing. Am I missing something?

Thank you.

LATER: My issue is different and is for Jira Cloud. Modifying the end date was no problem once I understood it better. The real problem is the sprint close date. If a sprint isn't closed on the exact right date...too bad. The Jira reports are off from what is desired. Permanently.

Like # people like this
Nathan Pearce October 15, 2017

I am having the same problem. This solution is no longer valid. I think the documentation needs updating for 7.0.

Like annie megan hetu likes this
Nathan Pearce October 15, 2017

Actually, it works when I hover on SOME sprints, but not the current Sprint.

Like Laertes Bolsoni likes this
Japreet Kaur Saini September 10, 2018

But it worked for me.

You need to go to backlog, identify the sprint. Just below that the start date and end date is available. Go there and update.

Like # people like this
AJ Rossman October 29, 2018

Went back to backlog and was able to identify and edit sprint

Like # people like this
Wabun Subba May 15, 2019

Thanks.

Gil Vinokoor May 3, 2020

Hi @Wabun Subba@AJ Rossman @Japreet Kaur Saini@Nathan Pearce@Larry Allen  all,

I can't seem to modify the sprint end date like you did, so reaching out for help...

Background: I'm using Jira Data Center v7.13.12

When I got to Backlog view for my Scrum board, to the far-right of the current sprint I do see the three dots "..." button you mention, but when I click it, the only option that appears is "Set sprint goal", nothing about editing or deleting the sprint.

Likewise, when I hover over the sprint name in the Backlog view, I do get a pencil icon, but when I click it, it seems to only allow me to edit the sprint name (i.e. puts the cursor on the sprint name), no visible option to edit the start and end dates of the current sprint.

So...any idea why that is and/or where else the Edit/Delete Sprint options may be hiding?

Like Mark_Hortman likes this
Michael May 22, 2020

Hi Gil,

seems the date can only be changed for the active sprint (there you see the start / end date. Not for future ones.

Cheers

Gil Vinokoor May 22, 2020

Hi @Michael - That's what I am trying to do, to change the end date of the active sprint. But again, I don't see the option to change the end date, only add a sprint goal or change the sprint name.

Based on what I wrote, can you figure out a solution that might help me?

Andrew Fowler July 27, 2020

I had a quick filter active on the backlog (Only My Issues) and did not see the start/end dates of the active sprint.  I cleared the filter and the dates appeared.  It was easy to change after that.

Ed Hassinger October 27, 2020

No longer valid. 

Why not just link to the damn thing versus making us hunt and click on numerous steps?

Joshua Agbabiaka December 21, 2020

This was helpful! Thanks @Bhushan Nagaraj 

16 votes
Archana Chennadi May 22, 2018

To modify an active sprint end date, 

• Go to backlog
  • Click ... of the active sprint. see image below.

Edit Sprint.PNG

Click edit sprint, you can edit Sprint name, start date, end date and goal.

Paulo Arthur Beck July 1, 2018

This answer should have been the accepted one. Thank you.

Like # people like this
Arjon Kodde July 20, 2018

That did the trick, Thanks.

Rakhita Kumarawadu September 10, 2018

Note that the date changes may take a few minutes to reflect in your Sprint board (from my experience).

Deleted user December 22, 2018

Short and precise. Thanks!

Like Archana Chennadi likes this
Alejandro Fonseca A March 28, 2019

i solved it when update the sprint's name

Minh Trang Đoàn April 1, 2019

did it. thanks

Raimundo Ladrón de Guevara November 11, 2019

November 2019: had the same issue and can confirm this is the trick. Thanks!

brent sharon February 24, 2020

This should be the accepted answer for this question. Thanks!

5 votes
gihandesilva July 16, 2018

To update the Sprint end date in JIRA v7.6

* Go to backlog

* Click on the field you want to update (ex: if you want to update the end date, click on end date)

Selection_008.png

Raghavendra .Vellanki December 26, 2018

Thank you For info , It is working :-)

Like # people like this
Manab Mukherjee June 12, 2019

Thanks. It works!

aurday September 13, 2019

This works just fine

Barath October 25, 2019

i have changed the sprint end date,but when after clicking on complete sprint , sprint end date is taking today onne instead of given date

1 vote
yaarit rosenfeld October 22, 2018

Hi, 
I tried the solution you offer. 
but my main question is how can I update future sprint dates. 
The dates effects my Gantt 

Richard S. Wheatley June 4, 2020

I am still having this issue years later.

When I create the future sprints I do not even get the option to set the dates other than the active one.

I had no problem with this when using Visual Studio Teams but I cannot seem to get JIRA to do this.

Like Mark_Hortman likes this
0 votes
Pavithra Sukumaran February 1, 2019

Would modifying the start time of an active sprint affect anything else? Sprint work was not started on the date  eg jan 1st , but the Sprint was created and start date was set as jan 1st. Work only commenced in eg jan 7 . Can I caller the start date without it affecting anything else? 

0 votes
Mary Zuranski October 8, 2018

I was able to change the end date but it never updated on the sprint board.  Any ideas?

Mary Zuranski October 8, 2018

took about half an hour to update.

Laura Sanchez November 12, 2019

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16331 you should add your case here, and vote for this ticket :)

Suggest an answer