how do I find out if I have admin rights

Barbara Campbell March 14, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Create, edit, or remove a user

How do I confirm that I have admin rights.

I need to add new users to our project.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2016

Do you have a cog icon on the menu bar towards the top right of the main menu?  No cog = no admin

If you do have the cog, then it'll either be project admin, or JIRA admin, but you'll be able to tell from the options.

Gemma Sole November 2, 2018

Can you add a picture of this?

Like # people like this
Gemma Sole November 3, 2018

I am a new user on the cloud-based platform and am definitely an admin. This was resolved in another chain and it was a known issue.

I don't think it is inappropriate to ask for a screen shot...

Like # people like this
rui.bai November 5, 2018

I would love a screenshot too! 

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2018

Hey Gemma,

The Cloud UI has changed since this question/answer were originally written. This isn't always the case - we're talking about maybe trying to identify some of these posts on Community so it's easier for people reading answers to know if it applies to them.

You're definitely on Cloud, which is a bit different than Server now. To see if you have admin in Jira Cloud, you're going to look for the Jira Settings option after clicking on the Jira icon:

image.png

If there's no Jira settings option, there's no Jira Administrator permission.

Cheers,
Daniel

Like # people like this
Werner Schott June 30, 2021

Should have a down vote. Incomplete answer.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2021

Well, it is five years old, with an update from Daniel 3 years ago.  However, that's also not quite right any more, as Cloud has moved back to a top-bar format.  Which has the cog near the top-right if you're an admin of any sort.

Screenshot 2021-06-30 at 10.16.08.png

p.s. The Community chose not to implement down-votes because of the rampant misuse and abuse of them in the previous systems.  People used them on correct answers that they didn't understand or like, and even for a form of bullying in the extreme.  We just couldn't come up with a decent use for them that wouldn't be abused. 

This would be one of the cases - your down-vote would not be fair as the original answer was correct at the time of posting, changed a bit when the UI changed, and has now become correct again, as shown in the screenshot here.

Like Daniel Eads likes this
0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2016

There are 2 notions of adding a new user to JIRA.

Suggest an answer