find unused jira plugins

Wayne Deal October 7, 2015

How do i find Jira add-ons that are not being used? I have found many ways to find Confluence add-ons that are not used, but nothing on Jira.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2015

There is no way to do this (in Confluence either - what you've seen for Confluence is a way to find unused macros that may well be provided by addons, but not the full range of all add-ons).  The problem is that an add-on can do all sorts of things, and the way they're implemented makes an across-the-board search impossible.

As an example, I often use the Script Runner to provide scripted fields and post functions.  They have nothing in common to search for.  I can find fields by reading the list of fields, or looking in customfield in the database.  To find post functions, you have to read workflows one way or another.  I can't even search for "is script runner used" in one question, let alone any other add-on.

I'm afraid you've got three basic options:

1. Manually check each add-on for usage
  2. Turn them off and see if anyone screams at you
  3. Grab an xml export and search it for any class names the add-on might be using, manually checking the results to ignore config and pick out actual usage

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events