custom field deactivate / disable value

Juliane Di Lascio January 5, 2016

I have created a custom field with a Select List (single choice) . I inserted some options for this Select List.

All options which exist are used in different issues. Now one or more options of this listbox are not longer valid.

This means I want to avoid that the user can select these options . But I don't want to delete them (because in this case the options are deleted from the issues).

So my problem is:

• I want to "hold" the selected options of this Select List in the existing issues.
  • I want to avoid to select in future some options .

I cannot deactivate this Select List because there exist still also valid options which the user should be able to select.

• Does anybody has a solution for this problem?
  • Does there exists any plugin for my problem?
  • Or can I disable any values of a listbox but not all?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2016

Disable the options in the select list. 

Go to admin -> custom fields, find the field, click configuration to get to the list of options.  Next to each option, you have actions - delete, rename and disable.

Disabled options can not be selected, but remain on existing issues, and can still be searched/reported.

pokalav November 20, 2018

Hi Nic,

We have the same requirement, But I could n't see any Edit Options link after configure.I followed below steps

Admin-->Issues-->Custom field-->find the field-->configure

Like MANI CHAKKA likes this
Kathryn Trimmer-Westcott November 5, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - can you offer any advice on disabling the field in the current UI? There is seemingly no longer an obvious "disable" link. I have checked options for Custom fields, field configuration and screen configuration and cannot find anything but hide or remove.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2020

I'd guess you are on Jira Cloud in a Next-gen project, which does not have this function.

1 vote
Mao Lee December 31, 2019

I have a similar issue.  I disabled a Custom Field type option but it continue to show up in drop down list to select and when a user sends in request, it still showing up at the top as the selected item.  Anyone know how to remove it from showing up but not delete it?  I don't want to delete it since it is tied to many projects/tasks.  I just want to disable it so that it's not visible to users.  Thank you.

0 votes
Raj Vora August 3, 2018

If you disable/deactivate a particular value for a field as described here, can you still import that field value afterward?  We are in the process of doing data migration and need particular field values to exist to do the import, but we don't want anyone to inadvertently select it in the mean time.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2018

Yes, you can still import.  And report on the deactivated values.  You just can't use the values when creating new issues with the "new issue" function, or editing them into place (imports are not considered "new" issues, they're thought of as "existing somewhere else and needing to be moved into your Jira")

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events