Why can't I configure the default board in a JIRA Business project?

I'd like to be able to create custom filters and configure the fields that show for issues etc. on the default board within a JIRA Business Project.  But there is no configuration option.  Is there a way to make this board configurable like custom boards created?  I want the landing board within the project to have customized options and don't want my users to have to go to the boards menu

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Sam Hall Community Champion Nov 15, 2016

Hi Nicole,

Tricky one to answer, but here's my attempt. I hope it is helpful. 

The default board which you are talking about is a "JIRA coreboard" (Atlassian's name). A simplified board offered by Atlassian in their JIRA Core product, aimed at business teams.

There's a bit of background on when/why this was introduced in this blog post. Basically, it was a highly requested feature.

I think it is kind of a compromise from them. They've put simplified, easy to use board functionality in JIRA Core, without giving full board set-up / customisation that's part of their JIRA Software product (which, of course, they charge a bit more money for). I'm afraid I don't know if they are working on improving this.

I think all you can really do (if you really don't like the  "coreboard" (and Cloud instance is JIRA Software/Agile) is change the project type to 'Software'. This will hide the "coreboard" and allow you to create a (configurable) Kanban/Scrum board in its place.

Maybe someone will step in with a better answer.

Sam 

Ok, that makes more sense.  I appreciate the breakdown.  I wasn't aware that it's a different kind of board entirely.  I think I'll take your suggestion and switch the project type.  If I need to hide some of the software functionality, it's probably worth it!  Thanks very much Sam!

Glad to help. Once you convert to 'Software' project, you should see a "Create board" link up near the project name:

create-board.jpg

If you use this method, it puts a link to the board at the top of the list. Saves users having to use the 'Boards' menu:

software-board-link.jpg

Hope this works for you.

Sam

I might be wrong here because business projects is a feature we don't use much in our company but as far as i know there is no such thing as a "default board" for business projects. They are just shown in a project view without creating a board.

But as I said, not an expert on the matter so correct me if i'm wrong.

There is a default board.  It is the second option in the left-side panel (main project nav), just below Summary. This is the most crucial part of the project as it is where we manage the workflow for all tasks

Ah you mean the Issue view. AFAIK that's not a board but just a standard view for every project, you should be able to edit the filter there but nothing else.

The Issues view is below the Board in the left-side main nav.  Using JIRA Agile, I am able to fully configure the default project board and create custom filters for the board etc.  I don't have any of that functionality with this board.  I'm limited to being able to move the workflow columns and use the 2 filters provided (assigned to me, due this week)

And apparently, even using the search feature on the board, it doesn't filter on components or labels.  Completely useless.

Agreed, the board in business projects is nearly useless.

+1 on the Business Projects being nearly useless. It's frustrating not being able to even configure what displays on the cards on the board.  

I hope they are working on this.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published Friday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

50 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot