Can you configure boards for business projects?

Paul Golota February 27, 2018

Seems like documentation says that boards for business projects are based on workflows. Is there an ability to configure a business project board so that issues show more details? I created a board under my profile but it seems that I am unable to move it to the project because the location dropdown only shows software projects, not business projects. 

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2018

Business boards do not have any configuration options.  If you've got Software, you can, as Mahesh says, include a business project in a board.

CP July 18, 2022

confirmed re-created a project as software project and transferring things over.  Pointless restriction that you can't configure a business board

Like # people like this
7 votes
Jay June 28, 2021

I have a Business Project which I have just set up for the company.  The Project has a Board button in the left hand bar that keeps advising 'Hm... don't see your work here?' and the link stating 'configuring your business projects' just loops me back to the Board page.

Frustrating and I hope Atlassian fixes this.

However, on the work around these steps are pretty easy.

1. In Jira click on the Search box in the top right corner
  2. When the Search drop down opens at the bottom of the window you will see a button saying Boards - Click this
  3. This will open the Boards page
  4. Click Create Board and set up your Kanban Boards based on your Project or Filters etc by following the wizard steps.
  5. At the end of the wizard you will be left looking at your Kanban Board.  
  6. Copy to URL from the address bar and head back to your Business Project.
  7. In the side menu bar of the project you should see a square icon with a plus in the corner and the words Add item - click this
  8. In the modal/pop up paste in the URL and give it the desired name and finalise the modal

You will now see your new Board in the side bar

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 1.11.36 am.png

Andrew Doran July 14, 2021

I experience the same behavior.  Silly that boards are not configured to work with business projects, as it seems like basic functionality that should be available.  Although I have been waiting since 2016 for dark mode so I doubt this gets addressed.  I appreciate the workaround provided, I guess I will just create a bunk software project to store boards for my business projects.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2018

We cannot create a board directly for a Business type project. But JIRA allows to create a Kanban Board externally outside the project and set it up using a JQL of issues in this project.

You can add a Project shortcut link in Project Slidebar of the new Kanban Board and use it.

yogi June 5, 2019

can you explain this, i am new to Jira. I don't know how to set an operations board with your explanation 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2019

You will need to explain what you mean by "operations board", and whether you have Jira Software or not?

yogi June 5, 2019

our team uses Jira software and confluence, I wanted to create a business project for my operations team, I find it difficult to understand how to create a board outside of the project and link it through JQL. 

it will be great if you could help me understand how the set up of the business boards work

1 vote
James Carlson June 15, 2022

Things have changed in 2022. If you are an administrator or board administrator: 

1. Click Project Settings on left hand menu.

2. Menu changes, click Issue Types.

3. On Edit Issues menu, click Edit Workflow. 

4. Add the new status. 

5. Save. 

Suggest an answer