When and how will Bitbucket Pipelines integrate with JIRA releases

Chris Cannell July 18, 2016

I was told that Bitbucket Pipelines will eventually integrate with JIRA releases. I'd like to know if there are further details on how and when this might happen.

Our current workflow uses JIRA releases to trigger a build in Bamboo Cloud. I'd like to replace the Bamboo Cloud portion with Bitbucket Pipelines.

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
M
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 18, 2016

Hi Chris!

This is something we are currently considering. I would love to hear more about how you're using the current integration with Bamboo and how you would like Pipelines integration to work with JIRA. If you like you can email me directly at mcook@atlassian.com

Christian Iacullo August 6, 2017

Any update on this feature? We're currently using pipelines to build and deploy, and it would be great to be able to create a JIRA release from within a successful pipeline build

Pieter Wouter Hartog
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2017

@M

I would also be very interested in integrating JIRA releases with BitBucket Pipelines. 

Looking for something similar as how Bamboo is aware of JIRA releases. E.g. when you "release' a version in JIRA, and JIRA is integrated with Bamboo, it starts a Bamboo build. The bamboo build knows the JIRA version as one of the input variables for the build.

This way, in Bamboo (and hopefully in Bitbucket soon) i can collect all JIRA issues and/or commits that were done for that JRIA release and as part of running a build/pipeline. The software I'm working with uses incremental releases, so only the new or changed code has to be included in the build. That's why having the JIRA release number as an input parameter for the Bitbucket pipeline build is important.

Thank you for considering this integration.

Let me know what the latest status is.

1 vote
Mike November 29, 2018

Honestly -- I'm really surprised that this functionality isn't available.

Just the basic ability to create a release or to change the status of a release as a step within Pipelines would be great for now.

Like most modern web teams, our builds are also based on tags and it would be great to produce a release with the tickets from that pipeline release.

cc:@Ijeoma Ekeh

Ijeoma Ekeh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2018

While release build integration with between Bitbucket Pipelines and Jira Software Cloud is not available yet, we are working on it. :)

As I noted to Alton, these capabilities are coming to Jira Software Cloud, but I don't know exactly when. 

Jira Software Cloud is going through a ton of changes right now, and our recently launched Next-Gen Jira Software public roadmap is the best place to see what's in the works, and both build integration, as well as deployment integration are on our radar.

1 vote
Mark Harwood September 6, 2018

Even just having the ability to create a release as a step within Pipelines would be great for now.

Our builds are based on tags and it would be great to produce a release with the tickets from that pipeline release.

1 vote
Jason Collinge August 16, 2018

I would also be very interested in this. It would be very useful to have data go both ways so that we can see which tickets in Jira have been through a pipeline build with the build status. It would also be great to see pipeline deployment status in the ticket so that we can see which tickets are actually deployed to different environments.

We currently do things the other way around where a JIRA ticket gets moved to a specific waiting status pre deployment and then we need to manually update each ticket after deployment so that QA knows what to validate on staging/production. But this manual approach is very error prone.

1 vote
Ijeoma Ekeh
Atlassian Team
April 24, 2018

@Pieter Wouter Hartog @Ben Chris

In case you're still interested, one of our product managers is currently trying to get a better understanding of the use cases for this potential feature. 

Check out this feature request for more info, and if you're interested in sharing your use case with Atlassian, read her comment and let her know! :) 

Alton Z. Allen September 20, 2018

So one major limitation that pipelines have that Bamboo does not have is within the Jira integration.

In Jira, if you create a workflow and add a trigger on a transition. I'd like the ability to be able to have that trigger executed when the pipelines builds and deploy correctly. Apparently, the trigger feature to auto transition on a successful deployment (or deployment failure) can only happen with a Bamboo build server versus pipelines.

Thoughts?

Like Ijeoma Ekeh likes this
Ijeoma Ekeh
Atlassian Team
November 30, 2018

@Alton Z. Allen This will be possible in the future, so stay tuned!  Integration between Bitbucket Pipelines and Jira Software Cloud has not yet been shipped yet, but it is on our roadmap.

To see what else we've got planned for Jira Software in the near future, take a look at our public Next-Gen Jira Software Roadmap, which we will be updating as new features are deployed. 

0 votes
Chris Cannell July 19, 2016

Megan,

I replied via email.

Suggest an answer