Text Field (read only)

I don't understand how this field works, i can't set any value ..

Is someone know ?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Accepted answer

It's a bit buried in the docs, but it is there - the field "can only be set by code or when importing".  There is no code for setting it in the core of JIRA (apart from the import option), you have to find or write an add-on to do it.

What are you trying to use the field for?  I ask because there may be a better option - a lot of people try to set this field when they want to put text on screen - this would unnecessarily fill up your database with lots of static duplicated data, and won't come out on the "edit" type screens anyway.  There's a different answer to that.

Thank you for your answer Nic, what I want to do is display on the issue creation screen, a read-only field including a link to a documentation page.
So I thought to do so via this type of field

Untitled.png

Like this

Ok, a read-only text field won't work - they only show up on issue-view and searches. 

Is that going to be the same url every time, or is it going to vary by issue/project?

For now it should be the same link, but if the need arises there will be the possibility to create a new field

Ok, there's a long-standing answer to this one (since JIRA 2). 

• Install the (well supported and free) JIRA Toolkit add-on. 
  • Add a new custom field of type "message field for edit"
  • Place it on the "create issue" screen (and others if needed)
  • Set the default value to your text
  • You probably need to mess with the formatting of the string a little bit, injecting simple html to get the layout right

It will appear on create (and whereever else you've added it), and you can change it later if you need to.  And you can add more of them if you want.  The field doesn't add data to issues, it's just some code that says "display the default value as a string" rather than a real field.

And can i do it for a simple string ? Not URL etc .. ?

Thanks for your answer, i'm going to try ! 

Any string you want.  In fact, I'd just get a simple "hello world" in there first to see where it lands, and then start adding formatting and real data later.

It's Perfect !  laugh

after installing the Toolkit add-on im trying to add a new custom field but cant find the type of ""message field for edit"

Hi,

in jira software, works fine.. Any idea how to reach this in customer portal in jira SD?

custom field both types (view and edit) are as empty and editable field when shown on portal :(

regards,

Krzysztof

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

442 views 2 5
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you