Subtasks and workflow setup

dennish_dcsorg_com January 1, 2019

I'm new to Jira and am playing with a VERY basic workflow. I've set it up as the image shows. When I create a subtask (which I set a blocking rule so subtasks have to be completed before the issue can be moved.

Problem is that when I try to close the subtask I have to click on the status button to go through every step of the workflow to get to done. If I open a subtask, I just want to be able to close it (or set to done) so I can move the issue forward in the workflow (pic 2 is what shows when I want to close the subtask).dev-proj1.jpgdev-proj2.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2019

Hi @dennish_dcsorg_com,

You just have to create a second workflow that has only the status you need for your subtasks.

You then go to your Workflow Scheme and there you can add the new workflow and assign it to your subtasks.

0 votes
dennish_dcsorg_com January 1, 2019

Got it working. Thanks! One followup, is there a way to make the error message a little more friendly if I try to move a workflow that has an open subtask? All it says now is I can't move it and I may not have permissions, if I keep having the problem contact an admin. Not very intuitive.

Suggest an answer