Single Select List with one option of Text Field?

Tayyab Bashir Community Champion Nov 18, 2016

Hi, 

A little background on what I am trying to achieve. 

We have about 4-5 Project Categories. And mostly all project fit into these categories, and occasionally there would be a need to create a new category to fit in a new project. 

When a "Create New Project" ticket comes in, the single select list offers them to choose from the already existing categories. 
But lately more projects are coming in that need new categories.

For that purpose I want an option of "Other/Suggest new category" in the Single Select List.
And upon selecting that option, there should appear a text box next to it, which would take in the value for newly suggested category.

What we tried and why it didn't work.
We removed our single select list and placed a simple text field in its place (hoping people would just type in already existing category names) and occasionally type in a new category.

But people just seem typed in their own new category every time. 

Hence, I would like the option of adding a text field into a single select field.

Many thanks in advance.
Tayyab 

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi,

There is plugin called Dynamic Forms which contains several dynamic customfields (select, multiselect, cascading select, checkboxes and radiobuttons) which can show/hide other customfields. You can just migrate your select to dynamic select and add related field for option "other/suggest", or you can add new custom field dynamic select.

Here you can find documentation: https://intenso.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DF/Dynamic+Custom+Fields

I hope I've helped you.

Best Regards

Tayyab Bashir Community Champion Nov 22, 2016

I did it with the help of Dynamic Forms. 
Much easier to configure.

Many thanks.  

0 vote

Two options spring to mind

1. Write a new field type add-on that can handle the select/text combination
  2. Add a new standard text field, install the Script Runner add-on and use a Behaviour to hide the field until the user selects "new category" in the select list

(Of course, there are other ways to do option 2 with your own coding, but the Behaviour is far easier)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

125 views 0 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you